MBP + Apple TV stupid question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mabyboi, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

This MAY be a stupid question, but i've been glancing at the Apple tv and its ability to allow you to show stuff from your iphone/ipad on the TV... now, is this possible using a Macbook Pro? is there a program that allows you to do it? I currently plug it in to my tv and stereo system, but i just figured it would be so much cooler and easier if it was wireless.. Just asking though :D

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Currently it is not. You can only send music and (I think) videos from iTunes to the Apple TV.

3. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Hmmm someone needs to get on that ASAP. lol

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

It actually is possible, as long as the media you want to push is in iTunes. In fact, I'm watching Top Gear right now being Airplayed from my MacBook Pro.

5. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Thats pretty cool, is there any way to say show your entire desktop?

6. DeusInvictus7, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah gimme a sec.

EDIT: Here's me watching How I Met Your Mother on my MBP, Airplayed to my TV.

Attached Files:

7. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Thats pretty cool, how did you pull that off?

8. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

It's called AirPlay. It's a feature in iTunes 10.1 and iOS 4.2, so you can stream content from your iOS devices as well as Mac's running iTunes 10.1 on the same wifi network as Apple TV.

9. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Well thats pretty cool.

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You meant of course from your iPad that is streaming the video from your Macbook Pro. There is currently no way to Airplay directly from a Mac, unless you know something the rest of us don't.

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm streaming straight from my Mac, iPad has nothing to do with what my picture is showing.

Your Mac can stream via airplay, all you have to do is at the bottom of iTunes just select your appletv as the destination...pretty much one step really. Or if you are already watching something. The video window will have the airplay option in it.

12. newagemac macrumors 68020

I can confirm this too. Airplay allows you to stream video and audio content in iTunes directly to the Apple TV or Airport Express. You don't have to have Home Sharing set up for it to work and you are able to push content while you're using iTunes or you can use the Remote app to access iTunes on your Mac and make it Airplay to your Apple TV.

13. ShakyJay macrumors member

That's pretty sweet, always thought that should be possible...now I know how to do it!!! Thanks!!!

14. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I was hoping i could show my entire desktop on the screen through the apple tv... oh well, i guess i have to figure out how to use itunes more to get all my downloaded stuff to play there...

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah that's the only downside to this whole Airplay thing. As it is right now, only things that play in iTunes are eligible to be streamed over. Once apps come to AppleTV as they are inevitably are, maybe someone can make an app like airdisplay for iPad to show the desktop of your Mac on the big screen.

Yeah, it's pretty nice being able to control playback on iTunes, that way you don't have to grab the remote to change shows or anything. I do kinda wish iTunes volume also control Airplay volume, but oh well.

16. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Ok if you have a computer and an AppleTV2 there are to ways to achieve what you are talking about, both require media on itunes and an appletv2:

1) you actiavte "Home Sharing" on your computer(s) and using your AppleTV2 access media from any of the activated computers. This process PULLS media from the computer(s) to the appletv, as you requested of the AppleTV2.

2) While watching a movie or whatever on itunes, you click the "Airplay" icon on the bottom right and select your AppleTV2. This process PUSHES media from the computer to the AppleTV, as you requested of the COMPUTER.

Personally? When using a computer, I like option #1. This is not the same case for me when using my Ipad, Iphone or otherwise since option 2 is not available for these devices.

Anyways I dont push media because I like to go hit down on my couch access all my media on the AppleTV2 and watch stuff there. It feels more like a TV experience. Where as which option #2, you could constantly have to access your computer to push things to your appleTV. I dont see the benefit (assuming you are accessing from a computer)

Plus which the activation of home sharing (option 1) you can activate multiple computers and access their content indivdiaully on one or more appleTV's.

The only benefit I see to using Airplay (option #2) to push media to an AppleTv is if Airply worked for safari or other 3rd party apps. Home sharing (option 1) only works for iTunes content. so airplay would have been beneficial had it been supported in safari and other programs.

Thanks
    AE

17. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Thanks for the responses guys. Quick question as well, it may have been answered before. I have partitioned my hard drive in my time capsule to have half of it carry my files, so i can wifi access them due to the small SSD i have in my MBP. Can you set the Apple TV to pull from that too?

18. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

It's wherever your iTunes content is stored. There is a thread here where the guy wanted to store some of itunes content on and external hd. Maybe you can either store all your itunes content there or make it so that the iTunes content doesn't have to be in the local location in the preferences.

Thanks
    AE