MBP AppleCare Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fate0311, Nov 1, 2016.

1. fate0311 macrumors 6502

I have a maxed out Mid-2015 MBP.

15" 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Radeon R9 M370X.

I purchased it last November 18th, did not initially purchase AppleCare for it. Now that the 1 year mark (18th) is coming up shortly, I'm trying to decide if it is just as wise to purchase it now as it was last year.

I'm skipping this update, so I will have this MBP until Apple updates the MBP line again.

I know initial response would be to say "Yes" pick up the AppleCare, however I would like to see if anyone has any angles of this I'm not seeing right now.

However I think just having the dGPU alone warrants getting the AppleCare, but I don't seem to be hearing of any failures?

Thanks.

-C

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Insurance is always a risk. I have been really lucky with apple replacing things outside of the 1 year warranty if it is a manufacture defect, so I take my chances.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yes. Get AppleCare.

1) You'll be covered for hardware failure over the next 2 years. It's a fabulous reassurance to have. Any strange niggles that might crop up won't cause as much worry to you.

2) The price to repair any hardware failure on your machine (LCD, Logic Board/RAM/Graphics, SSD, battery) will likely exceed the cost of AppleCare in the first instance.

3) Practically every portable Mac since 2008 has had documented issues with graphics failing, or a repair program for it. So definitely buy AppleCare if you have a dGPU.