MBP AppleCare Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scott85213, Aug 3, 2008.

1. scott85213 macrumors member

I've been out of town for about a month and before leaving I unplugged my MBP and it's been sitting shutdown on my desk. Upon returning I found that my applecare had expired and as far as I can tell I can't renew it. I had also found that my MBP will not work. Pushing the power button yields the light on the lid button and the fans spin up, but there is no HDD activity and the display does not output anything. Thinking it might have been the display I tried an external monitor with no results.

Is there anyway to renew my applcare? Has anyone experienced these issues? I checked appledefects.com and could not find anything, the only thing that my MBP has on the list is http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro#Corrosion_on_MBP_Topcase - which formed within days of it being brand new. Is that grounds for a replacement if I can prove it had happened before my applecare expired? Are the repair costs going to be out of my pocket?

I found this note on the applecare page.. "Please note: You will be charged for the costs of any repair unless you can provide valid proof of purchase to update the status of your coverage." Does this mean I can upgrade my applecare if I can provide a receipt?

2. scott85213 thread starter macrumors member

After further research I think my video card died, because I can get into OSX and hear sounds and whatnot, but I cannot see anything. Also using an external monitor doesn't work all points to the video card. Since nVIDIA stated that these cards are bad, hopefullly I can get a replacement.

3. sbf74 macrumors member

Please post and let us know what happens with your discussions with Apple.
    Best of luck.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it means if they are wrong and your warranty didn't expire, you need your receipt to prove it.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

You have one year to purchase Applecare. I don't think they let you buy it after that year is up. Hopefully it will work out for you, for me the $200 is well worth it.