MBP arriving soon... Where to buy programs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by max99, Nov 27, 2016.

1. max99 macrumors member

max99

I'm currently on a Windows laptop and lets just say I don't pay much for the programs I have on here....

my new MBP should arrive in the next 10 days so wandering where is best to get the programs I need.

I need
    • Photoshop - have seen you can versions from £30-80 on ebay, or lot more expensive direct or pay a monthly fee
    • Video editing, I currently use Pinnacle, but want to move to Final Cut Pro (again seem can be got on ebay cheap...)
    Is there anything I should know about purchasing off ebay...

Also in terms of needing word/excel what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

2. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Adobe no longer sells standalone versions of Photoshop. Only subscription. Lightroom can be bought with a one time fee instead of subscription.

Final Cut Pro from the app store.

From ebay might be old version, might be illegal pirate copies.

3. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

if you are buying Photoshop or FCP off eBay they are cracks and/or much older versions. at this point, most software is sold (or rented) directly from the publisher. Microsoft Office, you might get by just fine with the 2011 version. or look into one of the alternatives, such as Libre Office.

4. Sohappy macrumors member

Sohappy

I'm waiting for my first mac. MacBook Pro 2016 15"
    I had Photoshop cs5 on windows but my licence is a windows only licence. I don't want the subscription plans of Adobe.
    My new choice : Affinity Photo.
    I already tested the beta version for windows and it does everything Photoshop does for 50 € ! Layers and masks, plenty of brushes, blending mode and whatever you need.
    It on the App Store (app of the year 2015)

New to video, I think iMovie won't be complex enough for my taste. So Final Cut Pro x on the App Store ! Can't wait to play with all this stuff :)

I won't buy office. Pages and numbers will do for my needs.