MBP as a desktop replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Marv(Ger), Feb 21, 2008.

1. Marv(Ger) macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am new here and I hope I am right here (since I'm new to mac).
    my dad and my mom both work with macs and i just love the os.
    I started my apple history with an ipod photo, had a 2G Shuffle and since october I am a proud owner of a 16 GB ipod Touch (1.1.3 + JB ;))
    Now, finally, I want to get rid of my windows pc and get a mac.

So i got a couple of questions, since i am considering that a MBP replaces my tower pc.

Thats my PC:
    Some AGP mainboard
    Pentium 4 2,4 Ghz
    1 GB RAM
    ati radeon x1600pro
    and windows xp

hooked to that is a 19" Samsung Flatscreen (Syncmaster 191T, pretty old but sufficient), a Logitech keyboard, a logitech mx revolution (mouse) and a logitech 5.1 sound system.
    My pc also has a tv card in it, the software is Dscaler, but it sucks big time (freezes, sometime it just shuts down and mute doesnt work and so on.)

I mainly use my PC to watch TV, surf the internet, chat, itunes + ipod and pro evolution soccer 2008 :cool:

I want to throw my tower out (maybe sell it to a friend) and set up a little "dock" for a mbp, in which i put the notebook and than connect it to a usb hub, my mouse (works with mac, i checked ;)) my flatscreen, my keyboard, my soundsystem and so on (of course power too)

i tried my keyboard and mouse with my dads powerbook, they both work.
    My biggest concern is the soundsystem, it ends in three cables (orange, green and black) and go in my soundcard in the pc, but a MBP doesnt have those plugs....so can i get an adapter or do i have to buy a new soundsystem?
    The other connections will work fine, right?

a mbp will have zooooming speed against by pc above, wont it? where will i see that? which graphic card is better, mbp or mine above?

if i want to play pes 2008, can i use parallels (my dad showed me =)) or is bootcamp better if you want to play games?

thanks for reading and answering, i'll probably add more questions later.

Thanks & greetings from germany ;)

2. Marv(Ger) thread starter macrumors newbie

nobody here runs a mbp with a 5.1 surround system hooked to it?
    nobody here can estimate how much faster a mbp would be?
    nobody here can tell me the main difference between parallels and bootcamp? well you have to reboot if you want to use bootcamp, but where are the advantages?
    nobody here knows which graphic card is faster? radeon x1600pro (agp) or the one in the mbp?

3. ajx22 macrumors regular

Sure - but - The search is your best friend...

:D

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Speakers wont work(maybe adaptor),a maxed out macbook would suit your needs,the difference between
    parallels and bootcamp is parallels is a VM,and bootcamp will allow windows to run at native speed
    as its just like having two OS's on one mc, oh and go fusion not parallels

edit:you wont need to reboot if using either fusion or parallels just bootcamp

No one knows the specs of the new MBP or if they will update the MB

5. Marv(Ger) thread starter macrumors newbie

well, with the new mbp being released, the specs are out.
    how fast is a mbp compared to my old winxp pc (specs above).
    i just ordered the basical mbp. :cool: