MBP as a HotSpot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lykos1986, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Lykos1986 macrumors member

Hello! I am using my MBP as a hotspot by sharing the internet connection (from the Ethernet to AirPort).

My iPhone and iPod Touch connected really easily (and everything is working fine) but I want to connect the Windows Vista PC. It seems that it is impossible to connect. The Windows PC finds the network name but nothing more…

I am using a 13 character password as they told me that it is more compatible with the Vista OS but still nothing…

Any help?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

do you have all updates, i remember there being an update that fixed some issues with that a while back.

try without a password

3. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

Both of the MBP and the Windows PC are up to date. The problems happens and without the password protection. But even if not, it will be a bad idea to work in a wireless environment without a password.

I don’t know what is happening…

4. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

How are you able to use your MBP as a hotspot? Is there an app that you have to download to enable this?

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, woudn't a wireless router be better?

6. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

no, you just enable ad-hoc internet sharing.

7. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

You just go to “Sharing” then you select the “Ethernet to AirPort” and it is ready!

Yes, a regular wireless router will be a much better solution but because I am abroad for a couple of weeks I can‘t take and a router with me. So, I need to use my MBP 13” as a hot spot in order to connect all the other devices. All the Apple made products are working without any interruption at all… but the Windows PC it is unable to communicate with the Mac.