MBP as a second computer to MacPro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jngphoto, Aug 25, 2010.

1. jngphoto macrumors newbie

I currently use a MacPro (2x2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xenon). I am getting rid of my G4 Powerbook and looking at a replacement to use on the road.

I do mainly photo editing and do it mostly at home on the MacPro. I could use a portable solution when I go to my studio, but mainly for photo preview/light editing, which I currently do with my old powerbook attached to a 20" monitor.

My MacPro is a few years old, so if I get a MacBook Pro, do I go for one like a base 13" to compliment it or a i5/i7 15" that may equal or replace my MacPro eventually?

Thanks,
    John

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your Mac Pro is still way faster than any MBP. 13" seems to be just fine and you can sell it after few years and upgrade if needed. You already have MP for number crushing so I would just get as portable lappy as possible

3. tomscott1988 macrumors regular

tomscott1988

Literaly exactly the same as you. I have the 2008 mac pro, and i purchased a 13" mb (unibody before they added the pro) which is used on the go, for piece of mind with images i like to unload all my images onto my mb while out in the field to reduce loss of images, corrupt cards, loss of cards and to of course show the client how the shoot went. It is also very capable editing machine, obviously no where near the mp but still great. Also if you use lightroom you could use multiple libraries and merge them without loosing your edits. I find it a great tool and would always have a laptop to compliment a workstation, its small form factor makes it difficult to edit on, but for quick edits not bad on the go, also the 13" has a glossy screen which can be hard to use in the field but there is no antiglare option for the 13". Just a few things to watch out for.

Also the i3 versions should be coming out soon, so i would hold out for that, the 13" did not get the i series chips on the last upgrade and the core 2's are like dinosaurs compared, especially if you are going to be editing with an external screen. They also can have 8gb of ram and hold a 1tb drive so are more than capable of even the most happy snapping photographer!

hope this helps!

:apple:

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

i'd go with the 15" i5 to complement.

If you plan on getting rid of your mac pro for the sake of portability, one can only suggest, for the serious photo pro, the 17" i7 w/ eSata connected to some quick storage and a giant monitor attached.

5. jngphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I can get a 13" ( wait for the i3) to compliment my MP or get the i5/i7 if I plan on replacing my MP down the road. The Microcenter near me sells the 13" for $999.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I pair a 15" MacBook Pro with my Mac Pro; work great and the performance is excellent.

I had that. The only problem I had was a lack of disk space. Otherwise it's a great machine.