MBP as editing suite?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hibanzai, Jul 24, 2011.

1. hibanzai, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

hibanzai macrumors member

I was just wondering if a MBP 15.4" 4GB RAM 1GB Graphics would be able to handle lion and run final cut pro, motion, and photoshop simultaneously with no hiccups?

Basically, using it as an editing suite.

Maybe add a SSD to the mix to help out, thanks in advance, and sorry if the question is a repost.

Cheers!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you intend to run all that at once, more RAM would definitely be needed, the SSD would only add the icing on the cake.

3. hibanzai thread starter macrumors member

So 8GB would suffice to run said apps smoothly?

I was thinking of purchasing the 4GB, then adding 4GB if I see it needs the extra RAM. Seeing how RAM is astoundingly cheap these days, that would actually save me a lot than say picking the 8GBs directly from Apple.

4. hibanzai thread starter macrumors member

To add, if I purcahse the MBP with 500GB SATA, then opt for a SSD later on. Can I replace HD's later on? Is it doable? I found a store in my city that apparently replaces RAM and HD I bring them without voiding the warranty, as they are Official apple retailers.

5. Durious macrumors 6502

Yes you can purchase a SSD later and ram (I did that and did install myself). Those parts are considered user replaceable under warranty

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

A 4Gb MBP comes with 2x2Gb, one in each slot, so you'd have to purchase 2x4gb to upgrade to 8gb, just so you know.

You can add more ram and a SSD later yourself without voiding the warranty. The are deemed user replaceable parts by Apple and nobody is allowed you deny you warranty because of it. In fact, there are even instructions on how to do it in the manual that comes with the machine. Should anyone try to deny you warranty because you changed them yourself, print them out a copy of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, and tell them to get their facts straight, as they are not legally allowed to do so.

7. hibanzai thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant! Thanks for that. The apple seller had me convinced that if it's not done by them, and if they don't approve of the parts (basically he said you have to purchase them from us) then you void your warrant/apple care.

Excellent. You guys just saved me a few hundred dollars. Anti-glare it is then :D

To finish this thread over with, where are the best/cheapest online retailers to buy SSD and RAM from? Everybody seems to swear by Crucial for RAM, but no idea about the SDD.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

I think if you browse newegg.com and go by the reviews you're bound to find something to your liking.

9. hibanzai thread starter macrumors member

Right then! thanks for that chaps.

Super fast replies too, most appreciative.

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've been editing shows for broadcast on Al Jazeera English for the past 4 years on my MBP, no problems at all.

11. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I run the full Final Cut Suite on my MBP (see sig)

With 8GB of RAM my apps run as smooth as butter

12. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I run CS4, and adding a SSD has been absolutely essential in speeding up my system

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

I put up a post of what I use my 4Gb for and how it runs. Just go through my history and you'll find it. It should give you a good idea.

14. hibanzai thread starter macrumors member

That's is quite impressive! That's made made me think I should order a MBP 2.2 i7, and use that. Until I see that I genuinely need more RAM, and if need be, a SSD. Only issue now is that I really need an anti-glare screen and futureshop/best buy don't offer those specs. Apple doesn't do financing in Canada except for business, and futureshop/best buy seems to be the only way forward. :(

Ah well, thanks for the advice and insight folks.
    First ever post in this forum, and it's been a delightful, genuinely informative response I've gotten. Excellent so far. :D