MBP As Main Computer HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxwellIreland, Oct 31, 2010.

1. MaxwellIreland macrumors member

Hey

Im considering buying a macbook pro 13 and if I do this will be my only computer.

I will be using the macbook pro about 80% of the time at home and I am wondering how it will hold up to heavy useage (being on at least 6 hours a day,everyday)
    I would get an Imac but I do like moving about with my computer (around the house,uni,friends etc)

Since Im spending £900 on this model I really want to get a few years out of it.Unfortunetly cant wait till next update either.

My most used programs being Safari,pages,video streaming/dvd playback,iphoto,itunes.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is not "heavy usage." It will be fine.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

thats not heavy at all
    I run mine (specs in sig) for days on end at 80% capacity

4. noddevets macrumors newbie

Only recommendation is to get a portable Hard drive and do backups

Otherwise it will be fine

5. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

Yeah, fairly sure that either 13" mbp or even the mb would be perfect for you.

6. jimtat23 macrumors newbie

jimtat23

You will definitely have no problems at all! I use mine everyday!

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Heavy usage = Photoshop, FCP, Avid, DVD Studio Pro, Motion, LiveType

That MBP just doing simple tasks should last 6ish years easily. I'd personally get a new MBA if you were doing that, yes a bit more expensive but an SSD will make it quite a bit faster.

8. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

Considered that yes but I have 130gb of files as it is and the MBP can be easier upgraded in future.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Wish I had less files! :p
    I'd love a new air but my 250GB+ load of files is really a limitation, mostly media. I thought about a 500GB external HD but the Air doesn't have FW800 so seems pointless unless I get a really slow USB drive. Have you considered cloud storage? (Dropbox, MobileMe?)

10. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

I currently have a 1TB Lacie Stack External as my back up which is fast enough and should do me fine for years to come,but one of my reasons for upgrading from my current 80gb powerbook as I need to carry my most used files on the go.
    Its disapointing the MBP doesnt have a 320gb HD,might be just as well with a white macbook,pretty much similar systems.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Just as the others have said already, you'll be fine and your usage as listed isn't heavy at all. I do all that too and use Garageband a lot and my MBP is holding up awesome. Plus I carry it with me almost everywhere I go. My MBP is almost 4 years old too.

12. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If your MBP will be your main computer (as mine is), I'd recommend going with a 15" screen vs. the 13". Primarily to reduce eye strain.

My MBP is my main computer - no longer use a desktop, and switched from Win7 to Mac back in April - no regrets. I still have my Win7 laptop - use it mostly for Microsoft Certification studies, and an occasional game on Steam.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

as everyone else has stated ... you are good to go

I think the 13 MBP is the best choice for your needs ... plus you can upgrade the Ram and HD yourself even SSD without voiding the warranty.

IMO the new MBA where you cannot change the SSD yourself ... will become a bit of a Cash Cow for Apple. :cool:

14. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

I have a pretty nice monitor at home I can hook it up to,as the 15 & 17 inch models are way out of my price range.

15. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I have a 1.4TB on my external, 300GB on my internal of which 100GB is apps
    130gb is nothing.

16. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

Good for you :rolleyes:

17. sjfwhite macrumors member

sjfwhite

For full-time usage (ie. desktop replacement) won't 13" be a little limiting? For me, I found my 13" MacBook way to small for anything other than mobile use. Are you going to use an external monitor at home?

18. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

Yeah thats the plan,have a nice 24 inch Acer

19. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

My wife and I have used our 13" MB's for the past 4 yrs as our main computers. No issues at all.

20. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You can replace it with a 1TB drive for under $130 if you want.

Don't let the puny upgrade offerings by Apple dissuade your purchase.

BTW: I've been using a lowly macbook (early 2008) for about 12 hours a day the past 2 years for most everything my Dell quad desktop was used for. (Except HD video editing).

If my macbook died today I'd still say I got my money's worth. Never had a laptop last this long before. Can't imagine the MBP's as being any less robust.

21. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

I have a 1TB Lacie I was planning on using for video files and time machine.

22. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

do you worry about heat when using a 13" with the lid closed all day? mine is at about 69-70c just downloading and surfing the web:/ fullscreen hulu i hit almost 100c with the cover closed. that can't be good right?

23. ryanb914 macrumors member

That should be great for you! The MBP 13" can handle ALOT of stuff

24. phyrexia macrumors 6502a