Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Not into OS X these days. I need a new portable that I plan to use Windows 100% of the time. I know I can dual boot, but would it be worth it to get a MBP and just use Windows on it?

I see plenty of people in the wild using Mac laptops and iMacs and only using Windows. But what the disadvantages besides the Apple Tax? How much space would OS X take up? Anyway to take OS X off and just run Windows--I know that is likely not possible.

How is the track pad with Windows--same as a Windows laptop?

Not trying to offend Mac users--the business world runs on Windows and it has come a long way (Win7 & 10). OS X seems to be going in the opposite direction.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There really aren't too many disadvantages, other then paying a lot of money for a machine that's going to run windows, you can get a cheaper windows machine.

The other disadvantage is waiting for drivers from apple when a new version of windows rolls out. This may not be a huge issue or not, but I believe there's usually a delay from apple on updating boot camp.

Also the power saving settings are not configured optimally running windows, so your battery may last less.

zeppo2

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
What is drawing you to a MacBook? Maybe that would help others determine if you have anything else to lose? I would buy the new dell xps laptop if I only wanted to run windows. But then I'm not a gamer.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
What is drawing you to a MacBook? Maybe that would help others determine if you have anything else to lose? I would buy the new dell xps laptop if I only wanted to run windows. But then I'm not a gamer.

The MacBooks are beautiful solid build machines. Maybe I will get back into Mac OS--if Apple steps up with their next OS. Boy I loved Tiger--best OS I ever used!

I was on Dell's website reading reviews of the XPS--although it looks like a solid built there are so many complaints. The reviews aren't good. If you dig down complaint after complaint. Basically it has a gorgeous screen, but keyboard sucks along with many other issues.

MacBooks--love their screen, keyboards and as far as I am concerned is the best built laptop out there. Please Apple just make a nice OS!

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
The MacBooks are beautiful solid build machines. Maybe I will get back into Mac OS--if Apple steps up with their next OS. Boy I loved Tiger--best OS I ever used!

I was on Dell's website reading reviews of the XPS--although it looks like a solid built there are so many complaints. The reviews aren't good. If you dig down complaint after complaint. Basically it has a gorgeous screen, but keyboard sucks along with many other issues.

MacBooks--love their screen, keyboards and as far as I am concerned is the best built laptop out there. Please Apple just make a nice OS!

What exactly is wrong with OS X?

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
I think mavericks/yosemite are much better than previous versions so if that's how you feel I doubt you will be going back to apple...that being said you are throwing your money down the drain buying a macbook to run windows...there are MUCH more capable windows machine out there for the same price that will blow the macbook out of the water in performance.

Lenovo business class keyboards are arguably some of the best in the business...maybe you should look into those?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014

I hope apple steps up their os just like windows does their updates, its just amazing.

zeppo2

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010

Oh, didn't know about the bad reviews. I just happened to be checking out windows laptops right as that one came out, and it looked so tempting.

The main draw for me to getting an iMac in 2009 was the security. But now I'm in the market again, and security still has the same draw, but there is also an app that I like for studying that isn't on Windows. But on the other hand, I now need Windows for school, so I will be buying a MP Pro Retina (probably 13") and using Bootcamp. Unfortunately, I can't really put off buying it.

There are things I really don't like about file management in OS X (including iTunes). I am interested in seeing what Windows is like now after being about for so many years.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Windows has issues with the trackpad. What is a small two finger scroll in OSX becomes a massive swipe in Windows. You need to scroll in much smaller increments. I couldn't find a setting that worked. I just use a mouse and it works like it should.

If you have a Mac with both integrated and discrete graphics, You only get discrete graphics. This kills battery life and will add some hat and fan noise.

Windows 8 has ok support for retina resolution, and it is slowly improving all the time. Windows 7 has no support and I doubt that they would add it.

Other then that it is the same Windows experience as always.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I did this with a mbp 2010, basically because I needed some windows-only programs. I did it successfully for 3 years. It works fine, but get a model with intel graphics only. The dgpu is on permanently in windows, which cuts battery life in half. Also download macsfancontrol, which allows you to regulate fan speed better than apple does. The last issue is that the trackpad supports 2 fingers only in windows. No 3 or 4 finger gestures. Put scrolling on 2 lines at a time in windows, and it works really well. Keep a small OSX partition for installing firmware updates.

I now have a rmbp 15", which I dual boot with Windows 8.1. Scaling works pretty well in Windows with the retina display. I have it on 150% scaling, which makes the screen look like 1920x1200.

Overall, I recommend using a mac in windows, even as its primary OS. It works well. Just be aware of the limitations as I described above.

Last edited:

Guitar4Him

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
I have a 2014 13" RMBP. I'm running Windows 7 Pro using Bootcamp. It is simply the best Windows laptop I've ever used. As far as the trackpad is concerned, there is a program called Trackpad++ which gives you most of the functionality of the OSX trackpad. Occasionally, I boot into the OSX partition and do things the "MAC" way. Some other useful software to have....Paragon makes some programs which will allow you to access the HFS partition from Windows and the NTFS partition from OSX. Using these, I've been able to set up programs like Thunderbird in both operating systems and use a single data storage for both.

Ken

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I think you can install Windows as your only OS on the machine.

You'd have to use OS X Bootfamp first to install the extra drivers and stuff for windows to a USB flash stick. Then you can erase the HD and install windows like you normally would. After it's done you would install the drivers from the USB flash stick.

It's not recommended to completely remove OS X though as you may need it to fix stuff or install firmware updates, or as a backup OS.

For this just install Bootcamp normally but shrink your OS X partition to about 30GB or so, and leave the rest for Windows.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Not into OS X these days. I need a new portable that I plan to use Windows 100% of the time. I know I can dual boot, but would it be worth it to get a MBP and just use Windows on it?

I see plenty of people in the wild using Mac laptops and iMacs and only using Windows. But what the disadvantages besides the Apple Tax? How much space would OS X take up? Anyway to take OS X off and just run Windows--I know that is likely not possible.

Not trying to offend Mac users--the business world runs on Windows and it has come a long way (Win7 & 10). OS X seems to be going in the opposite direction.

First of all, there's no such thing as the Apple tax, any equivalent windows machine is going to cost just as much as a Mac.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012

Take a look at the Lenovo X1 carbon. It's a nice ultra portable laptop, however, it's as expensive as a macbook...

The only thing wrong with OS X is not having good real world applications written for it. I wish developers would pay more attention to OS X.

Office for mac is still in 2011 for instance and the next version is coming late this year? lol

----------

First of all, there's no such thing as the Apple tax, any equivalent windows machine is going to cost just as much as a Mac.

This is so true! Try finding ANY machine with equivalent specs for a cheaper price than MacBooks.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
The only thing wrong with OS X is not having good real world applications written for it. I wish developers would pay more attention to OS X.

Because most people use Windows because most people buy cheap PCs which almost always come with Windows.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Because most people use Windows because most people buy cheap PCs which almost always come with Windows.

It's simply because Windows initially became the dominant OS for everyone and Mac never had any market share. Hopefully things will change, but not anytime soon.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I use Windows Pro 7 on both of my 27" iMacs and my rMBookPro 15" all the time. I can not remember booting into OSX except for updates and facetime on the weekends.

I purchased because I gave up on Lenovo Thinkpads, Lenovo has lot their way. Apple hardware is the best and it runs WIndows like crazy fast on Bootcamp.

I ditched the Apple keyboard and mouse and move to a Microsoft USB wireless mouse and keyboard and have never looked back. On my MBPro15 I use the laptop keyboard but a wireless MS mouse. All works quite well

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If you're not going to use OS X, do not buy a Macbook. You pay a huge premium for the Mac software/hardware relationship. Without that, the MBP is an underpowered Windows machine.

Don't put a Ford V6 in a Ferrari. Buy a Ford.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you're not going to use OS X, do not buy a Macbook. You pay a huge premium for the Mac software/hardware relationship. Without that, the MBP is an underpowered Windows machine.

Don't put a Ford V6 in a Ferrari. Buy a Ford.

I choose to pay the premium for premium hardware so I can run Windows 7 on my macs. The MBPro is FAR from being underpowered on Windows and I get some of the highest ratings of any Windows PC I have ever used.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I choose to pay the premium for premium hardware so I can run Windows 7 on my macs. The MBPro is FAR from being underpowered on Windows and I get some of the highest ratings of any Windows PC I have ever used.

That's fair. I just wonder if you can get the equivalent for cheaper.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's fair. I just wonder if you can get the equivalent for cheaper.

I'm guessing he, like many people like the design, fit and finish and quality of the laptop. Who cares what OS is running on it, as long as he's happy.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
It's simply because Windows initially became the dominant OS for everyone and Mac never had any market share. Hopefully things will change, but not anytime soon.

People still see Dells as cheaper than Macs so they still go with those. All Dell PCs ship with Windows.

If they shipped with a different OS... then that would be another story.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I think you can install Windows as your only OS on the machine.

You'd have to use OS X Bootfamp first to install the extra drivers and stuff for windows to a USB flash stick. Then you can erase the HD and install windows like you normally would. After it's done you would install the drivers from the USB flash stick.

It's not recommended to completely remove OS X though as you may need it to fix stuff or install firmware updates, or as a backup OS.

For this just install Bootcamp normally but shrink your OS X partition to about 30GB or so, and leave the rest for Windows.

All the "bootcamp" drivers can be downloaded from Apple's website, so even OS X for that use is unnecessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.