MBP Audio Buzzing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDrummer, Dec 24, 2008.

1. MacDrummer macrumors newbie

I am experiencing a buzzing sound coming from the right side of my Late 2008 mbp when playing music (especially piano music). I am unsure if the buzzing is coming from the speakers, sub woofer, or if the keys are being rattled by the frequencies to create the buzzing sound. Has anyone else experienced this?

The computer is about 2 months old so I just cant take it in to exchange it. I use external speakers for the majority of the time. But since I'm now home from school for a few weeks I am using only my internal speakers and it is beginning to bug me.

Any help, advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

2. MacDrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm taking it in on Saturday morning. I'll keep everyone up to date.

3. evanxlee macrumors newbie

please share your experience, i'm having the same problem!

4. MacDrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got back from the apple store in chicago. I played a piano track for them as well as the 1kHz file. They said they heard the distortion too. They placed the 2 files on an external and took the external around the store plugging it into the other MBPs. The other machines have the same problem. Some arent as bad as others but they all have the buzzing sound/distortion. So he said the sound was within an acceptable range.

(my buzzing starts at about a 60% volume level)

Hope this helps.

5. evanxlee macrumors newbie

i had a feeling... thanks for doing the footwork and getting back on here, you saved me a huge hassle!

6. PDE macrumors 68020

I love how 'within specifications' at Apple is determined by the prevalence of other machines with the same defect. The more machines with a defect, the more likely Apple will call it normal. The buzzing sound is pretty bad on my early 2008 MBP, but I've accepted it. With USB audio it's all fine.