MBP Audio output not working ... HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dunlapface, Apr 18, 2010.

1. dunlapface macrumors newbie

Ok, so here is the deal. I got the adapter / cable that I needed to display my MacBook Pro onto my TV through the HDMI hookup. That works just fine.

The issue is, when I plug the audio cable into the headphones jack and then plug the red and white wires into my audio input (surround sound), I don't get any sound. I used headphones all the time so I know that the port works, I just can't figure out why I can't get sound to go through my surround sound.

I'd like to be able to watch movies and such with a full hook up to my entertainment system and not have to use my MacBook Pro speakers for the audio.

Can you please help me out here and let me know what I am doing wrong? It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. dunlapface thread starter macrumors newbie

3. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Is your reciever turned on? Is it on the right input? Does your headphone jack work with regular headphones(ie is it working)? Also, if your going into a reciever why aren't you using TOSLINK

4. dunlapface thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the receiver is turned on, and yes I made sure that it is on the right input. I am using the tv and the sound is coming out just fine on the surround sound system.

As I mentioned before, I made sure that headphones worked in the headphone jack, so I know it's not the port.

I am using an HDMI cable for video with the adapter for my MBP for video, and it doesn't support audio so I have to use a separate audio cable for the audio.

5. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

well if your plugging the audio into your TV audio will only come from whichever (video 1,2,3 etc.) on you plugged it into.

if your switching to hdmi input on the television you cant be on the same *input* with the audio.

you need to run the audio into your receiver and then switch receiver to correct input. Then you can have the TV on HDMI input and have receiver on audio input from laptop.

It shouldnt be too hard to run audio to your receiver from your laptop.

6. dunlapface thread starter macrumors newbie

See, that's the thing. I did that exactly how you stated it, but it would not work when I switched the receiver to the input that I had the audio from the MBP going in to. Trust me, I thought it would just be a bang bang thing and I would be well into watching my shows on my tv and surround but it doesn't seem to be that simple since I am not getting sound when the receiver is plugged in.

7. dausone macrumors member

Video and audio is integrated into the hdmi cable. No need to hook up an additional audio cable out from your mbp. You should be able to plug in the hdmi directly to your receiver.

I wonder if the problem are the settings in your dvd player? Try changing audio out "internal HDMI out" to get 5.1 through the hdmi cable.

EDIT. sorry, I was assuming you had the 2010 mbp?

8. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

i would check the cable with another device, try plugging it into your ipod, if sound works you know you can check sound setting in mac osx, if it doesnt work with ipod either then get another cable.
    he has 2009