MBP audio output

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hovitos-way, Dec 21, 2008.

1. hovitos-way macrumors member

Hi,

I am using my mac to watch some videos on and have it connected to my tv. That works without a problem and the video quality is great.
    I am having a problem outputting the audio though. I realise that the DVI output on my MBP carries only video and so intended to output audio from the headphone port to my 5.1 audio system. The only problem I have is that the 5.1 audio system doesn't seem to have a digital input (at least I think thats what its called). Could someone give me advice on how to get the sound out please? I have attached a picture of the inputs on my subwoofer.

Ps: I am right in saying that if I have a file that has 'DTS audio' on it then it will give me 5.1 surround sound from my MBP right?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

What it looks like you have are Multi-channel analog inputs on your subwoofer. You would need something in between to convert the audio so that it gets split up and distributed over those 6 RCA inputs. Either that, or you could just get a headphone to RCA stereo cable and plug it into the front L/R ports. You'll just get stereo sound, not 5.1.