MBP Audio Popping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonR, Jul 9, 2009.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I have a 17" UMBP hooked up to a 24" Apple Cinema Display (MDP and USB), and then I have a Logitech 2.1 speaker system hooked up to the MBP. My speakers "pop" randomly. I have no idea what's causing this. I'd assume it's the MBP, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas or anything to try? I unplugged the speakers for a bit but the 24" Cinema Display speakers SUCK (relative to the Logitechs).

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

i think it's normal, i get the popping once in a while too.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

OP, you do realize that speakers built into displays are all crap, right? They are only there to give you audio feedback, not give you quality sound.

4. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Yes, I realize that. That's why I have a real set of speakers. :)

Anyways...I still don't know what's up with the popping sound. My older 15" MBP never did that...

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

some external speakers are effected by cell phones, especially the iPhone. my fiance's causes my external speakers to pop sometimes. not saying that is your problem but it is a possibility.

6. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

It just started. I have had an iPhone since I've had the Macbook Pro. Is it possible that the jack on my MBP is screwed up?

7. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

8. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

So my 24" LED Cinema Display pops when my Logitech speakers aren't hooked up to it. Could it be the display that's screwed up!?

9. Z06jerry macrumors regular

I would start by disconnecting all speakers and then connecting some headphones to the audio output jack of your MBP. Quit all apps, the open only iTunes but do not play a song, it should be silent. If you hear the popping sound its likely coming from the internal sound card. When you start a song at very low volume you will probably hear a slight tick/pop as the sound card un-mutes.

If everything is OK in your MBP, then try your external speakers without connecting them to your MBP, are they popping? - if so this is where the problem lies.