MBP audio through HDMI (Starcraft 2)

AbjectEvolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I have the mini display to DVI adapter and then a DVI to HDMI adapter which then plugs into an HDMI cable that plugs into my home theater receiver. I get video on my TV, but I do not hear sound. Is this because I'm going from mini display to DVI first and that DVI doesn't carry sound... or is there some setting I need to turn on in order to send audio? Thanks.

AbjectEvolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Also, how do I make my TV the only display so that it doesn't also send an image to my laptop screen? I went to make the resolution 1080p but it is mirrored to my laptop display and so it went all weird and the buttons were off in the Starcraft menu.

AbjectEvolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I read that the new MBPs could transmit audio over the mini display port though. Was that wrong?

What about my displays? How can I make the secondary display the default and turn off the laptop display?

bhattsan

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I read that the new MBPs could transmit audio over the mini display port though. Was that wrong?

What about my displays? How can I make the secondary display the default and turn off the laptop display?
You would need a direct mini display port to hdmi cable to do that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you are first converting to dvi, it cuts out the audio, so that doesn't make it over to the hdmi connector. Hope that helps.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008

You need to get a straight MDP->HDMI thats audio compatible.

Turn off mirroring.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
You would need a direct mini display port to hdmi cable to do that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you are first converting to dvi, it cuts out the audio, so that doesn't make it over to the hdmi connector. Hope that helps.
Correct.

But be advised that not all Mini Display Port to HDMI converters are compatible.
A lot of them won't carry the audio.
I have this one, and it works like a charm on my 2010 MBP:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34025
Also correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.