MBP automatically boots to Safe Mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bestMBP15, Sep 3, 2010.

1. bestMBP15 macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2010

Today, my Macbook Pro 15" started to automatically boot up in Safe Boot / Safe Mode. So every time I boot up, I have to wait 5-10 minutes and stuff. It's not normal.

I tried:
    • Restarting, Shutting down and booting.
    • Resetting PRAM, NVRAM
    • Verifying and repairing Hard Disk in Disk Utility (it fails). Tried in Mac OS and OS Installation Disk.
    • etc...

I got this computer 6 days ago, and there is already this problem. Is there a way without reinstalling the OS? I have Windows installed on it for gaming, but I don't see anything else that could be causing the problem.

Please help!!

2. green86 macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    It is very odd... if it's a new computer, I'd take it to the Apple Store for service.
  3. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2009
    I had that problem too. It was after a keyboard spill - the computer thought the Shift key was beeing pressed (that's how you trigger safe mode boot). Check that the Shift keys are ok.

I could get around it by holding another key while starting the computer as well (a key not bound to any startup options, "a" for example) since shift+a doesn't trigger safe mode. Worth a shot. I guess the base of the problem is a stuck key or broken keyboard though.