Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mx356

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
What's up guys? I have an early model 08 MBP and as of late it'll automatically go to sleep. It does it does it when its on the charger and when its not. It takes a couple minutes to get it back going once it does it. Has this occurred to anyone else and if so how did you get it to stop?

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
Have you gone into System Prefs and to Energy Saver and looked at when the Mac is set to go to sleep on battery and on power adapter?

Might try setting to never and rebooting, then let it sit and watch for it to sleep. If it doesn't go to sleep change the sleep timers to sleep after 20 minutes or so and see if it all checks out.

Update us when you do!

Mx356

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I knew I had it set-up to never sleep, but I realized that I had the "Put The Hard Drive To Sleep Whenever Possible" box checked. I unchecked, but could that be what was doing it?

Thanks for your help

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I knew I had it set-up to never sleep, but I realized that I had the "Put The Hard Drive To Sleep Whenever Possible" box checked. I unchecked, but could that be what was doing it?

You want your hard drive to sleep whenever possible - it'll prolong its life.

Have you checked the Schedule (in Energy Saver)? What software are you running when your Mac goes to sleep?

Mx356

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Well my computer stopped doing this, but now its starting to do it again. I'm only running Safari and iTunes right now when it does it.

Also my keyboard and mouse has been freezing up. I'll be doing some stuff and the screen is still working as I can use my wireless mouse but it wont let me use the keyboard or mouse until I restart??

Any help is appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.