MBP automatically shutting down

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kgrass, Sep 21, 2009.

1. kgrass macrumors member

After about 30 minutes of inactivity my MBP tries to shut down. It is not scheduled to do this in System Preferences and I can't find anywhere else where there may be a setting to initiate this. Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to correct this?

Many thanks

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Do you have to reboot or can you wake it with by hitting the keys?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Repair your permissions (Disk Utility -> Repair permissions)

4. kgrass thread starter macrumors member

I can awaken it by pressing any key - Safari prevents the shut-down since I am not there to confirm it is OK to close it.

I have just repaired permissions per HellHammer's suggestion and will remain idle for awhile to see if that fixes it.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks

5. kgrass thread starter macrumors member

Problem appears to be solved

After allowing the MBP to remain idle for over an hour I returned to find that it did NOT attempt to shut down after having run repair permissions.

Thanks HH!

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your welcome, mate. Broken permission usually cause that kinda problems, but they are easy to solve :cool:

7. kgrass thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately this problem has re-appeared and repairing permissions is not curing it anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

8. kgrass thread starter macrumors member

MPB automatically shutting down

Since this problem continues to persist I decided to try HH's suggestion again and re-ran disk utility->repair permissions. At the end of the session I got the following message in the log: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Does this mean anything to anyone and, if so, any suggestions on what I might do about it?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

9. kgrass thread starter macrumors member

Still shutting down

My MBP still attempts a shut down after 30 minutes of inactivity. Does anyone have any ideas on what might prevent this? (Note: this is a shut-down that is being attempted - not going to sleep.)

Many thanks!