MBP Back To School Deal Worth It Anymore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrKevan, Sep 1, 2010.

1. MrKevan macrumors newbie

Well the Apple event revealed what's going to happen to the new itouch and it is indeed pretty remarkable. But school is coming up and I am considering in getting a MBP but the itouch I will be getting will be the old gen. and the new gen. coming up seems awesome. So, what should I do?

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

2. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I dont understand what this thread is about. If you end up wanting the new iTouch, are you not going to get a MBP?

3. MrKevan thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to negotiate my way around it? I see what you mean though, it didn't occur to me when I was making the thread.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

To the best of my knowledge, no.

Do you need a new computer right now? Will your current computer last you until next summer? If so, maybe consider that. You'd save some money, and in 10 months you'd have a new computer and the iPod you want.

5. MrKevan thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I am going to first year of college (university, w/e you wanna call it) and I am pretty sure i'll be needing a laptop.

6. goMac macrumors 603

The new iPods don't ship until the Back to School sale is over.

So no, you have to choose the old ones. Make sure to order by Sept 7th.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In which case, maybe buy the laptop and sell the iPod touch? You wouldn't get a great offer at this point, but it would be enough to get you started on saving for the new model. :)

8. MrKevan thread starter macrumors newbie

So you think I should get the second gen? If I remember correctly, I have to pay like $100 extra for the second gen model or should I just take the first gen and use it for the time being...? But if I remember correctly while watching the Apple presentation today, Steve said something about how the touch 1st gen wouldn't be able to get the OS 4.1 because of the hardware, so maybe the 2nd gen for $100 more is worth it?

Ugh, I bet Apple did it on purpose to release the touch a week later than there B2S promotion.

9. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Sell it on ebay and get and iphone 4

Edit: You are also in a wrong thread :)

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I've purchased Macs on the "back to school" promotions on two different occasions while I was in college and both times, new iPods shipped after the promotions ended. I think this is by design. Bundle deals with EOL products help Apple clear old stock.

11. curvephotograph macrumors member

Do you really need the latest iPod if the outgoing one is virtually free? The iPod touch is just fine, the new one won't sound any better use the money on some books for your studies instead of needing the latest toy from apple.

12. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

You can do what you want man. If you think you'll want/need the features on the new iTouch, then go for it. However, if you don't, why not get a free iPod while you're at it?

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Go with the current deal, sell the "free" ipod. Use the money towards a new one. They WILL NOT give you a new one. In fact, you get a second generation ipod touch from it.