MBP Battery Calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ghsNick, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok, so I didn't calibrate on the first charge but I did it on the 3rd day of owning my MBP.

I followed all the instructions and left it playing iTunes when I was at work to sleep/shutdown.

The reason I did that is because the battery was taking forever to die (not a bad thing :p) and I wanted the 5 hours of downtime to be when I was at work so I could use it when I got home.

I turned it on when I got home and saw the last file played was from 3 hours ago. Will it still calibrate if I didn't wait 5 hours? (I would have waited but didn't know how long it had been off)

And after calibration I had to restore the MBP to the previous day because I messed some stuff up. Does that mean I need to calibrate again?

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'd reccommend using Watts. It'll make sure you can't possibly screw up the calibration.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it wasn't in sleep/shut down mode for 5+ hours, you need to recalibrate. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Keep in mind that calibration does not affect battery life, it merely keeps the battery meter's reading precise.

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

And what I read from what you posted (it might have been in another thread) AppleCare doesn't replace batteries unless there's a noticable defect. Not regular wear down after 2 years or so?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct. Read the "BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED" part of the Battery FAQ, where it discusses what's covered by warranty and AppleCare.

7. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Alright. Even though I'm sure they make exceptions too.
    Btw, Your post to other "helpful" threads are beast man.
    That Back Up one you gave me yesterday saved me.

8. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I noticed this -
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 6998
    Fully Charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7109

I supposedly got this brand new from the Apple store on Sunday.
    I know I didn't use 111 charges. Does this mean someone used my MBP and returned it?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That doesn't represent a number of charges. No, it's not a used MBP. Read the "CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH" section of the Battery FAQ. Actually, read all of the Battery FAQ, as it will also answer the questions you haven't asked yet.

10. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Oh ok. Yeah so it won't over charge.
    The green light is on (I'm recalibrating) but it's at 98%.
    Ok Thanks again.