Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ok, so I didn't calibrate on the first charge but I did it on the 3rd day of owning my MBP.

I followed all the instructions and left it playing iTunes when I was at work to sleep/shutdown.

The reason I did that is because the battery was taking forever to die (not a bad thing :p) and I wanted the 5 hours of downtime to be when I was at work so I could use it when I got home.

I turned it on when I got home and saw the last file played was from 3 hours ago. Will it still calibrate if I didn't wait 5 hours? (I would have waited but didn't know how long it had been off)

And after calibration I had to restore the MBP to the previous day because I messed some stuff up. Does that mean I need to calibrate again?

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Keep in mind that calibration does not affect battery life, it merely keeps the battery meter's reading precise.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
If it wasn't in sleep/shut down mode for 5+ hours, you need to recalibrate. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

And what I read from what you posted (it might have been in another thread) AppleCare doesn't replace batteries unless there's a noticable defect. Not regular wear down after 2 years or so?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And what I read from what you posted (it might have been in another thread) AppleCare doesn't replace batteries unless there's a noticable defect. Not regular wear down after 2 years or so?
Correct. Read the "BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED" part of the Battery FAQ, where it discusses what's covered by warranty and AppleCare.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Correct. Read the "BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED" part of the Battery FAQ, where it discusses what's covered by warranty and AppleCare.

Alright. Even though I'm sure they make exceptions too.
Btw, Your post to other "helpful" threads are beast man.
That Back Up one you gave me yesterday saved me.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
If it wasn't in sleep/shut down mode for 5+ hours, you need to recalibrate. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

I noticed this -
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 6998
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7109

I supposedly got this brand new from the Apple store on Sunday.
I know I didn't use 111 charges. Does this mean someone used my MBP and returned it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I noticed this -
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 6998
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7109

I supposedly got this brand new from the Apple store on Sunday.
I know I didn't use 111 charges. Does this mean someone used my MBP and returned it?
That doesn't represent a number of charges. No, it's not a used MBP. Read the "CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH" section of the Battery FAQ. Actually, read all of the Battery FAQ, as it will also answer the questions you haven't asked yet.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
That doesn't represent a number of charges. No, it's not a used MBP. Read the "CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH" section of the Battery FAQ. Actually, read all of the Battery FAQ, as it will also answer the questions you haven't asked yet.

Oh ok. Yeah so it won't over charge.
The green light is on (I'm recalibrating) but it's at 98%.
Ok Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.