MBP Battery Charge Complete at 96%?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CitiXen, Apr 2, 2009.

1. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

Just got my MBP 2.66 and calibrated the battery but I notice the battery has stopped charging at 96%? What's going on here? Did I not calibrate it right? Or is it a battery defect?

On a side note, I have noticed my screen has slightly changed brightness a few times while I am working on it while plugged and charged. Is that normal?

Attached Files:

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Don't worry about it. Happens to a lot of uses. If you drain the battery below 50 percent and charge it up again, it will charge back to the normal 100%

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Your current battery capacity is higher than your original capacity. That's weird. Unplug your laptop, use it on battery power for half an hour, than plug it back in. Try restarting too.

As for your screen, when you charge your MBP your screen automatically increases brightness once the power is connected (unless it's already at the maximum brightness).

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Yep. I believe it's the battery tech at work. My MBA often says 96-99% when fully charged. It prevents the battery from over-charging.

5. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

6. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try them out. As for the screen brightness the mbp was already plugged in and I wasn't changing any settings and it dimmed... it just happened again as I type this.

Brightness levels 2 from the top. Plugged in, not charging.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If the battery is higher than 95% when you plug it in to recharge, it will stay at that power level. You shouldn't worry about it, as your computer is fine, my MacBook Air is done charging right now and it is at 97%.

8. SirContumacious macrumors newbie

SirContumacious

The reason this happens is to prevent the "stop and go" sorta charging. Just like a car, "stop and go" is bad for the battery. If it is charged above 93%, gets unplugged, and then plugged back in before it falls below 93% it will not charge. Let it drop to 90% or so then plug it back up.

You'll see it get to 100% if you leave the cord in.

9. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

The screen is supposed to adjust it's brightness automatically in different light settings (in effort to save battery power), however in certain lighting conditions, the adjuster can get quirky. To stop this, go to System Preferences>Displays>"Display" tab, and uncheck the "automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" at the bottom.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

why do you keep your screen so bright? i keep it at 2 squares BELOW the mid-point. am i the only one that does this?

i just turned my brightness to the upper levels :eek: its no wonder ppl get eye strain. my GOD that's bright.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You can also get eyestrain from a screen that's too dim.

Mine is seldom below middle and varies above that.

12. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

On the contrary, using a dimly-lit screen in a very bright room will also cause eye strain. I'm glad you have the opportunity to use your laptop in a dark cave.

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes that's is true if you are having to strain to see the screen and it's contents. but im hardley in a "cave". and its better to have a dim screen that you have to strain to see then a super bright screen. the problem is that while you notice when you are straining to see a dim screen a bright screen causes eye strain with out you noticing it.

14. NickM macrumors 6502

I'm in a cave.

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that must be pretty sweet. make sure you keep your brightness down.

16. NickM macrumors 6502

No way!! Brighter! BRIGHTER!!! It looks so nice!!!
    I want to make love to my glassy screen!!! MMMMMMMMM!!!