MBP Battery dead again... whats up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tweak3D, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Tweak3D macrumors regular

so I've had my MBP for a year and a couple of days now, and im already ready for my thrid battery. the first died after about 6-8months (don't remember exactly) with about 50 full cycles it was at 15% battery health (under 1000ma) I calibrated every 3-4 weeks. I talked with apple they said I did everything right and sent me a new battery. so here I am only 4-5 months later with a battery worse than the first one. about a week ago I went to use it and had 98% health and it died in under an hour, no warning no nothing, just shut off. thought it was wierd so I charged it back up and im at 6% (37 full cycles) health now and the battery does not last even 20 minutes with eveything off and screen brightness down.

so I will be calling apple again tomorrow as I have apple care and this is complete BS, but my question is why is this happening? I am ruling out bad luck because I see a ton of bad reviews online and even on apples store about how bad these batteries are. Just looking for some advice.

-Justin

PS its a 2.4ghz with 4gb ram and a 500gb HD if that makes any diff.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Maybe you've got a bad connection on the dc-in board. Or perhaps a bad dc-in board. That many problems would point to an issue with the computer itself. Do you have a buddy with the same size machine ? - you could pop the battery into their's and see how it charges and how it reads.

3. Tweak3D thread starter macrumors regular

I actually do so I think I may give that a try. its just akward that it works for months and then within a span of a week dies like this. I have owned countless laptops and never had an issue like this, only the typical slow battery life loss over a few years, but I've gotten 1.5-2 hours out of batteries with more cycles and an older age than this one. =/

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It definitely sounds like a bad connection of some sort. I'm at nearly 500 cycles, and 97% health.

I'd take the whole thing in for them to replace the bad board.

5. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Sounds like it can be the heat generated from the laptop thats causing the battery to die. It can't be just the issue of the battery, it has to do with something internally thats causing this. Good luck though.