Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djnigelchung

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Silicon Valley
Hi all.. looking for some advice.
2016" 15" mbp with the 460. I connect this laptop to my tv with a dongle (ethernet, hdmi for 1080@60 and usb for an xbox 360 controller). All drivers/updates current.

I play games on bootcamp (GTA V, fortnite, South park, Wolfenstein 2, rocket league, Cuphead are currently installed). The issue is, While plugged in directly (87W charger direct to a port). There is still battery drain. I can play for an hour or two and then get a notification that battery is low. (which on a positive note gets me to take a break), but is still annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any fix to this?
Thanks

grillface

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2011
This does happen to me on my 2018 15" and happened to me on my 2011 15" too. It just means the laptop is drawing more power than the power adapter can provide, and hence it is taking extra power from the battery. It is usually only 5-10% per hour though. Are you in 'High Performance' power mode in Windows? I usually run in 'Balanced' and it runs just fine.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Surprised it drains quickly enough to notify in an hour or two, but some battery drain whilst doing something that pegs both cpu and gpu heavily at same time is not unusual in a MBP, have been like that to various extents for a long time. That at peak power draw, especially with screen on high brightness too they can demand more power than the PSU can provide, as peak gpu+cpu alone are upto 80+ watts, without screen.

djnigelchung

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Silicon Valley
This does happen to me on my 2018 15" and happened to me on my 2011 15" too. It just means the laptop is drawing more power than the power adapter can provide, and hence it is taking extra power from the battery. It is usually only 5-10% per hour though. Are you in 'High Performance' power mode in Windows? I usually run in 'Balanced' and it runs just fine.
Changed it to balanced.. which helped a little, meaning there is still battery drain, just less, which is weird to me because while gaming the fans are running pretty high so the computer is being pushed.. anyways, thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.