Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will eth

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I just received my MBP today and charged it up and am now letting it discharge.
I have now noticed that the battery health is at 97%.
Should i be worried??
Will.:confused:

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Yes, mine went from 97% to 101% after calibrating the battery. Even at 97% it was estimating 7+ hours with light usage so I wasn't complaining.

theencoder

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
hey I have the reason for this, bought a brand new 2011 mbp top of the line blah blah blah and had the same thing happen to me so I took it into the store and they couldn't give me a reason and in fact one of the guys told me this is normal that it was a software coding issues. All of this is wrong and through a bit of research I found this was due to a recent change they made in the MBP's to "give the batteries a greater longevity" meaning that sometimes the newer computers consume a slight bit more than the charger is currently giving it as apparently the chargers fluctuate in power much the way your home does so it drops a percent or two. The part that has apparently changed to help batteries is that the mbp won't start to recharge until it drop below 95 percent I believe it was. All of this is posted somewhere in some update release info and I wish I could provide you the link but no longer know where I read this information at. There is no problem with the battery as a way you can prove this is unplug the computer and let it drop down to low 90's then plug it back in and it should charge all the way to 100 percent. hope this has helped :) good luck, joined the forum just to try and help and this drove me crazy the first month I owned the computer as I kept thinking I should take it back.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
hey I have the reason for this, ...
You're confusing the reading for battery health, which is what this thread is about, and current battery charge. It's not a software coding issue and it doesn't have anything to do with the newer batteries having greater longevity. To clear up the confusion, click the link below and read. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
You're confusing the reading for battery health, which is what this thread is about, and current battery charge. It's not a software coding issue and it doesn't have anything to do with the newer batteries having greater longevity. To clear up the confusion, click the link below and read. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Well thank you GGJ, I sometimes marvel at your patience. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.