Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
UK
well, ive had my mbp for about 4 months
the batteries had 73 cycles and is 94% health
i want to try and get it back to near 100% but following the discharge - sleep - recharge thing doesnt work
any other solutions?

S600MBUSA

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Georgia
Batteries don't maintain their factory condition forever. It just doesn't work that way. From what I've seen, your numbers don't seem too unusual. Unless there is any loss in battery life that is significant enough to affect your ability to work and enjoy your computer, it shouldn't be a concern.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Your battery is perfectly fine. As you use it, it will gradually loose some of its maximum charge. There is nothing you can do for it.

As for this:
following the discharge - sleep - recharge thing doesnt work

As far as I can tell, you're describing the calibration process, which, despite what you might have thought, will not "improve" your battery. It will merely display the correct charge when you use it.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Fear my battery! (actually, I think coconut battery is just lying)

If you're suspicious, go to :apple:>>about this Mac,>>More Info...>> and then under the "hardware" tab, select 'Power.' It should give you some information on the condition of the battery if you scroll down a bit. :)

ddavid

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Your battery is perfectly fine. As you use it, it will gradually loose some of its maximum charge. There is nothing you can do for it.

I'm confused, do you mean the battery will come loose and not fit securely or do you mean it will lose charging capacity?

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
UK
ok, thanks.

As far as I can tell, you're describing the calibration process, which, despite what you might have thought, will not "improve" your battery. It will merely display the correct charge when you use it.
oh ok, i thought it did both (improve and also show correct amount)

I'm confused, do you mean the battery will come loose and not fit securely or do you mean it will lose charging capacity?
second one, loose charging capacity

thanks for the help! :)

ddavid

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
ok, thanks.

oh ok, i thought it did both (improve and also show correct amount)

Are loose and lose two different words in the UK? Here, one means something doesn't fit properly, and the other means to misplace something. For example, If you lose 10 Kg your jeans will be loose.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

He was actually making fun of my typo. ;) :

Are loose and lose two different words in the UK? Here, one means something doesn't fit properly, and the other means to misplace something. For example, If you lose 10 Kg your jeans will be loose.

You're welcome! :)

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
How about this one... 5 cycles after 17 months... but my favorite is

charger connected: no
battery charging: yes

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 63

bov

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
how is that even freakin possible?!

i am just dumbfounded at the moment. can someone enlighten me to how they are doing this?

such low load cycles on an 8 month+ mac whilst at the same time the battery is charging while no charger is connected? hmmmm

coconutBattery must just like to mess with people like me :confused:

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
how is that even freakin possible?!

i am just dumbfounded at the moment. can someone enlighten me to how they are doing this?

such low load cycles on an 8 month+ mac whilst at the same time the battery is charging while no charger is connected? hmmmm

coconutBattery must just like to mess with people like me :confused:

Coconut is not working properly on Leopard is what is happening. My load cycles are really 174.:rolleyes:

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
ahhhhhhhhh ok that makes a lot more sense :D
Yeah, Coconut has really been a disappointment. I loved it under Tiger, but it's unusable for a lot of users with Leopard. However, like I mentioned before, there is a work-around:
If you're suspicious, go to :apple:>>about this Mac,>>More Info...>> and then under the "hardware" tab, select 'Power.' It should give you some information on the condition of the battery if you scroll down a bit. :)

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
UK

He was actually making fun of my typo
didnt see that, i tend to think most people dont type correctly or make a typo and ignore the odd spelling mistake :)
im not saying you cant spell, but on other forums spelling/grammar is so atrocious it doenst make sense! :mad:

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Or you can just use iStat Pro :)

I have iStat but I found its battery meter to be unreliable (even under Tiger). I often got readings which were worse than what they should have been. However, without Coconut, I've been forced to use iStat, and I've noticed that it's gotten better compared to before.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
wait.... how do you check the battery health and all the stuff on the screen like that screenshot? Sorry I'm a noob... :rolleyes:

That screenshot is of the app called Coconut Battery. Otherwise, follow the steps I listed out earlier:

go to :apple: >>about this Mac,>>More Info...>> and then under the "hardware" tab, select 'Power.' It should give you some information on the condition of the battery if you scroll down a bit.

signatus

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Andalucía, Spain
Isn't it possible to take the battery out while you're plugged to electricity? Batteries have a limited amount of charge cycles, so if you don't need to use them (i.e. when you're using the computer as a desktop) you should be able to remove them in order to save charge cyles, and make them last longer. It's possible with other laptops

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Isn't it possible to take the battery out while you're plugged to electricity? Batteries have a limited amount of charge cycles, so if you don't need to use them (i.e. when you're using the computer as a desktop) you should be able to remove them in order to save charge cyles, and make them last longer. It's possible with other laptops
thats what i do... also keeps the laptop cooler/quieter as without the batteries the mac slows down the processor.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

thats what i do... also keeps the laptop cooler/quieter as without the batteries the mac slows down the processor.

That isn't recommended for long term use because the CPU will be crippled without the battery. Since the battery doesn't go through very many active cycles while on AC, there's really not much to gain from unplugging the battery. Even with regular use, your battery will last a fairly long time (probably as long or nearly as long as the computer itself if you replace computers every 2-3 years).

viqas

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
Derka derka stan
My battery:

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
Charging: No

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB013
Pack Lot Code: 0001
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0102
Hardware Revision: 0300
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 2145
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 2145
Health Information:
Cycle count: 244
Battery health: Fair
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 131
Voltage (mV): 12571

I was on the phone with apple and they decided to give me a new battery since this one is being a pita. full charge capacity of 2145 mAh is normal after 2 years of ownership?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.