MBP Battery Health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattpippen, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mattpippen macrumors newbie

I just got my new MacBook Pro, but when I turned it on, charged it up, and got some of my apps installed I noticed something. The battery health was at 98% normal straight out of the box new. Is this normal?

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Need to calibrate it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

FWIW: If it drops below 80% with less than 300 charge cycles while still under warranty, Apple WILL replace it.

My Battery is at 56% percent capacity after 57 charge cycles. A call to Apple support this morning, and a replacement battery is arriving via FedEx tomorrow (evidently they do saturday delivery).

4. mattpippen thread starter macrumors newbie

I may need to do that. My battery is at 91% health after the calibration. That's just 2 cycles as well.

5. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

What is the result of calibrating the battery? Does is prolong the battery's life, or is it simply for your battery meter to be accurate? If you don't calibrate and your battery meter says 95% for example, will you still get the same amount of time from your battery as you would if it was calibrated?

6. kkanuck macrumors newbie

kkanuck

What is warranty?

I have the 3 year apple care, so whole way through, or is the battery a different time frame?

Cheers

7. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'm pretty positive the battery is covered in Apple Care.

8. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Any answer to my questions? I don't fully understand the calibration and I want to know if it is necessary to do right out of the box.