Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil
hey you gave me an idea... may be I can put my MBP on the fridge while playing Crysis, this way Im secure from the nVidia Gpu failure maybe? :D

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Place the whole MBP in the fridge so it stays fresh even after new models are announced! ;)

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
A fridge works not by generating cold but by pushing hot out - hey hang on a minute, maybe the MBP is already a fridge. :)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
All joking aside

Though I assume the OP is jesting given the:rolleyes:

From what I have read for long term storage keeping the Lithium stored at 40% capacity in a cold/dry environment will reduce the loss of capacity. I was just looking up storage techniques since my laptop had a bad battery that was relatively new. It turns out only one cell was bad so I wanted to store the other cells until I got around to converting an old RC plane to electric and use those light high capacity batteries.

zsft

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
And light bulbs work not by emitting light, but by sucking up dark. A darksink if you will.

Wait...I dunno if there is sarcasm in this...but he is right, the fridge works by sucking heat out. It is not possible to make something "cooler" since "coldness" doesn't exist, all that exist is the lack of energy, ie: the lack of kinetic energy in air molecules, which in plain english is "coldness".

So I really dunno what you're talking about...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
In the fridge with a ziplock! The battery will never go bad! :)

Or better yet--Food Saver airlock bags!
Wait...I dunno if there is sarcasm in this...but he is right, the fridge works by sucking heat out. It is not possible to make something "cooler" since "coldness" doesn't exist, all that exist is the lack of energy, ie: the lack of kinetic energy in air molecules, which in plain english is "coldness".

So I really dunno what you're talking about...

Sarcasm my friend. Sarcasm... ;)

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
There is something to what the Orig poster said:

NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than alkaline batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F) NiMH and NiCD batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY. Storing them at lower temperatures will slow their self discharge rate dramatically. NiMH batteries stored at freezing will retain over 90% of their charge for full month. So it might make sense to store them in a freezer. If you do, it's best to bring them back to room temperature before using them. Even if you don't freeze your NiMH batteries after charging them, you should store them in a cool place to minimize their self discharge.

I had an old computer guy tell me to stick a dead laptop battery in the freezer for a couple hours, then charge it. It did take a charge when it wouldn't before. It wasn't like a new battery, but it was usable for a while. Don't ask me why it works.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
There is something to what the Orig poster said:

NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than alkaline batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F) NiMH and NiCD batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY. Storing them at lower temperatures will slow their self discharge rate dramatically. NiMH batteries stored at freezing will retain over 90% of their charge for full month. So it might make sense to store them in a freezer. If you do, it's best to bring them back to room temperature before using them. Even if you don't freeze your NiMH batteries after charging them, you should store them in a cool place to minimize their self discharge.

I had an old computer guy tell me to stick a dead laptop battery in the freezer for a couple hours, then charge it. It did take a charge when it wouldn't before. It wasn't like a new battery, but it was usable for a while. Don't ask me why it works.

Except these are Lithium batteries and the best way to store Lithium batteries is cool dry storage at 60% charged.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I wonder if MBA users stick their computers in the fridge after watching youtube...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.