MBP Battery: Is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by goodtimes5, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bartelby macrumors Core

Nope. Take it to an Apple store if you can and get a replacement.

2. Collin973 macrumors 6502

I just got mine replace.

8 months or so, down to 2400 mAH.

2nd time they have replaced it.

3. jdr70 macrumors newbie

Seen this on a couple friends macbooks. you should take it in.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Good luck getting it for free, AppleCare does not cover the battery if its past the original 12 months. Apple is really miserly when it comes to batteries.

From Apple:
    Notebook Owners
    Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan. However, the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have failed or are exhibiting diminished capacity except when the failure or diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I didn't see the age just the Load cycles

6. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

So although my one year warranty is up, is there any chance of pleading with the Apple Store for a replacement battery and getting it?

7. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

print this out and bring it with you when you request a repair

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

basically, it states if something is seriously wrong with ur battery, they will replace the battery free of charge even if your computer is out of warranty.

8. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Thank you very much for that tidbit. I'm off to the Apple Store in two hours.

9. tip macrumors 6502

tip

My old battery was 54% capacity at 300 cycles (exactly). I took it to an Apple store and they replaced it - they didn't ask for any sort of verification first.

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It varies by store, often independent dealers(such as the one I have worked at) don't have the kind of liberty of the easy replacement like the "Official" Apple brick and mortar stores do.
    Your milage will vary, just a warning to those who might be shocked when they see a charge.

11. RHD macrumors 6502

How do you find that graph because my System profiler doesn't have that readout that I can find and my battery is rubbish.
    Still running Tiger though.
    Thanks

12. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

That link from DOUGHNUT was a life-saver. The Apple Store Genius was adamant about not replacing my battery because my laptop was out of warranty, but once I showed him that link and he went to the back for a few minutes, I got myself a free replacement.

The percentage bars are from a program called Coconutbattery.