MBP Battery Issue - Hard Shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milbournosphere, Nov 23, 2010.

1. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Hi guys,

I'm having a strange issue with my MBP1,1. It's recently picked up a new habit that I find to be rather annoying. When the battery gets down to between 5 and 10%, the laptop will just shut off. No hibernation, no sleep, just a hard shutoff. The battery seems to be in good health; although it does have a high cycle count, I still get around 2 hours of usage out of a charge. I would think that a calibration would solve the problem, but with the hard shutdown, would that even be possible? Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibration might be the solution, as the indicated time remaining might be inaccurate. However, that won't account for why it shuts down, rather than sleeps. To make sure it stays awake during the calibration process, use the Caffeine app (link in calibration section of this post): Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. milbournosphere thread starter macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Thanks for the link to the guide. Very complete. I will calibrate it tonight and see if that helps. I did not know that you could turn the laptop off during the calibration process:
    I thought the machine had to be sleeping. Hopefully this will help. The battery still gets 2 hours at 688 cycles. Darned impressive.