MBP battery issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brentg33, Aug 7, 2008.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all, I have a MBP 2.16 with 3GB ram...i have had it since march of 2007. i hardly ever use it on battery power......per the system prof. cycle count is 15...( i will attached screen print) however, i do have it out today and i was using the battery and at about 47% charge, my MBP just turned off....no warning, no nothing....screen just went black. i tried restart and it wouldnt even get to the log in screen for my accounts...it would go to the blue screen and then nothing else...(go to sleep). i then hooked up the AC power and i was able to use the computer again. I dont know if the battery exploded....so much to say that i have seen pictures of exploded batteries online from other MBP and this certainly isnt like that...however i do notice a little gap between the aluminum cover of the battery and the battery itself (near the sliver button on the battery). Anyways...i called Apple....they made me reset pram and i gave her my battery stats...she thought it didnt look too bad other than the full charge (4614) capacity was a bit low for a batt with only 15 cycles....anyways...Apple recommended to re-calibrate the battery and see if that helps......
    do you think this will help? or do i need to get a replacement battery? i have applecare so i was thinking of just making a GBar appointment today and seeing what they say...or could there be something wrong with my MBP itself...
    thanks
    brent

Attached Files:

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Can you take a picture of the battery itself? If it is coming apart, you need to get a new one from Apple right away.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well as i was trying to take a picture of it....i pressed it down and it no longer has the very slight gap anymore...so there isnt anything to take a picture of right now. i more worried about the sudden turning off of the comp...and making sure there isnt anything wrong with the mbp itself....im guessing it wasnt an exploeded battery.

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

The turning off was probably due to not being calibrated. I would calibrate at least twice since it seems it hasn't been done in a long time.

5. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so should it have given me a warning before it just turning off?

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

No. All calibrating does is let your battery know where the end is. Since it wasn't calibrated, it didn't know where the end was and when to warn you.

7. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i ended up making a 815 genius bar appt last night on the way home....ended up swapping out my battery....i kinda just think he was lazy and didnt feel like looking at it....not complaining though....i got new battery and am calibrating it now.

-brent