MBP Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vlug, Feb 6, 2012.

1. vlug macrumors 6502

Hi All,
    I have had my MBP since about October 2011. I have only ever used it about 3 times when not connected to the MagSafe PowerSupply as its mainly used as a main desk PC.

However.. each time I have used it on the battery alone it has only lasted 2hrs top's. Granted this is with full brightness on the screen and using wifi, but I wasn't exactly pushing it CPU wise, just streaming online TV and browsing the web.

My friends MBP last's 4+ hours using full brightness on the screen doing the same sort of activity.

Maybe I need to use it more not connected to the mains, when its on my desk it is always connected to the main could this harm it? shouldn't do right?

2hrs web browsing and streaming low bit rate web tv cant be right can it?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
    Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

I haven't approached Apple yet because I upgraded the ram, but the battery issue was evident before I did this. Will put original ram back in before I go to an Apple store, unless anyone responds to this with another option or information.

Thanks
    Scott

2. simsaladimbamba

Streaming TV most likely uses Flash.

Adobe Flash Player is CPU intensive, thus more power is needed to feed the CPU, which results in higher temperatures and often higher fan speed(s) on mobile computers. As more power is used due to Flash, the battery life of mobile computers is shortened by a good bit.
    To check, if Adobe Flash Player is responsible for less battery time or the heat, go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor and select to show ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU.

There are a variety of Flash blockers for all the four major browsers available.
    A Flash blocker does what it says, it blocks Flash content, but via a click on the marked Flash object, the Flash object can be activated and used.

• Safari: ClickToFlash, for which there is an extension and a plug-in; CTF allows you to download YouTube and other kinds of MPEG-4 encoded video too.
    • Opera: has a built-in Flash blocker
    • Firefox: Flashblock is an add-on to block Flash
    • Chrome: FlashBlock is an extension to block Flash

Also make sure to have the latest Adobe Flash Player version running, you can get it here.​

3. vlug thread starter macrumors 6502

The streaming TV was with Microsoft Silverlight, but thank you for responding, and the 1 instance it lasted 2hrs was only web browsing and browsing in Finder whilst a friend taught me a few Apple / OSX tricks as I am new to OSX.

4. simsaladimbamba

I don't know how much CPU Silverlight uses, maybe have a look at Activity Monitor like mentioned above the next time you use it on battery.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Install gfxcardstatus and set it to "integrated only."

Unfortunately some of the streaming services are not optimized on OSX, and use up a lot of power. Apparently this gets worse the more CPU power is available.

Finally, you should use your battery once in a while (i.e. at least once a month). Otherwise it might loose charge capacity.

About this Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> Power
    has all the information about your battery.

6. vlug thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for responding, I have checked the battery info, not sure what it all means but here it is:

I have seen people mention that Graphics program tweak before might give it a go next time I run battery only.

But as a whole though guys 2hrs is not good enough when browsing Finder and internet without streaming is it?

Thanks

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

streaming is hammering wifi, processor, and display, especially if you have it turned up all the way, so it makes sense that streaming online video is going to eat your battery.