MBP battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blaake, Nov 10, 2012.

1. blaake macrumors regular

Is it better to leave my MBP plugged in when its at a desk setting and at 99-100%? or is it better to unplug it when it hits 100% and plug it back in when it nears 10-20%?

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Don't leave it plugged in all the time, use it on battery for a few hours a day (drain it to 70-ish percent, for example)

My MBP runs on battery during the day, then I plug it in. However, If i'm at home working on homework, then I have it plugged in. I try to go through one or two charge cycles a week.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you can leave your computer plugged in all the time it's ok to do that. If you need to unplug it and use it, that's ok too. Just enjoy you computer and don't worry about it. Keep in mind that it is a good idea to discharge the battery about once a month.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

4. blaake thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. Seeing that you have questions to all of my answers, do you know how to get outlook 11 to sync with hotmail?

5. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Personally, I work on battery until it hits 20%, then charge until 100%.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with Outlook 11.

----------

Are you saying that you always unplug it when it hits 100% and run it down to 20%, then charge and repeat? If so, you're adding unnecessary cycles to your battery and you're going to kill it faster.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can leave your computer plugged in all the time without any adverse effects, though it is recommended by apple you use your battery once a month or so to give it exercise.

All modern batteries come with chips inside them that take care of all the overcharging protection and whatnot.

So to keep it simple: use it however you want to, plug it in as long as you like, and don't worry about it.

This guy is completely right.

8. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

And if you always sit with plugged-in power adapter, the battery will not be exercised and will die faster.
    My previous battery died this way.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

My previous MacBook Pro is turning 5 years old soon, it is still on it's original battery. It was plugged in roughly 90% of the time at home, I took it only occasionally to the couch or at school when I knew I'd need it.

The battery has slightly under 300 cycles, and still lasts right around 3 hours(on Lion, with SL it'd last longer) with light use, which is about an hour less than it did when new.

Keeping it plugged in for extended periods of time(IE longer than a few weeks) is indeed a bad idea, but otherwise, you can do whatever the hell you like with your battery without damaging it.

Continuous cycling is not doing your battery a favour, no matter how much you want it to.

10. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

You should not cycle lithium batteries on a regular basis. Increased cycles (use and wear) will reduce capacity. Do not treat them like NiCd batteries.

Keep them charged when you have a power source and use on battery when needed -- thats the point of a portable anyway.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you read my previous post and follow the link I provided, you'll see that I didn't say that it was unconditionally ok to leave it plugged in all the time. You do have to let it discharge occasionally, but only about once a month.