MBP battery life

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fungazi, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Fungazi macrumors newbie

Hi. I need to purchase a laptop for work in the very near future. Basically, I'm looking for two things: a battery life > 4 hours and a good screen with adequate resolution.

I will be using the laptop essentially as a 'thin client' to connect to work through a vnc-like java solution. I won't be doing any video editing or DVD watching; the only software I'm likely to run on the laptop itself, other than the thin client software, would be office productivity software.

I've heard varying estimates of battery life for the MBP, ranging from 2.5 hours to 6 hours (according to Apple). My question to those on this forum who own MBP's is this: given the usage I have described, am I likely to get a solid 4.5 hours out of it? Or is 2.5 hours a closer estimate? How fast does the battery degrade? Ie: after 6 months, am I likely to see a big hit in battery performance?

As to the screen, I've read some very negative comments on this forum about the MBP's screens, especially after the switch to the new screens... Since I'll be working many hours on the laptop, I need to have a screen that's 'easy on the eyes'. I don't care so much (ie: at all) about color accuracy and the ability to play the latest 3D games, so much as the ability parse through large text files without having to squint at a tiny screen for hours at a time... How would you say the MBP ranks for screen clarity?

I appreciate any comments and suggestions you have.

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Battery life depends on a lot of things. The major question is: How are you connecting? Are you going to use WiFi, Bluetooth, and/or Ethernet?

WiFi and Bluetooth take up a lot of power. Ethernet uses very little.

I get about 3.5-5 hours on battery with WiFi. I don't know what I get with Ethernet because I never use it.

My screen is very clear.

Also, remember that people only normally talk about their computers when they have problems. People normally don't start threads to say that their computer is running perfectly.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I generally get about 4-5 hours when not doing CPU intensive tasks like Photoshop. This is with the LCD backlight at about 90%.

Can't go wrong with the screen, it's one of the best screens I've ever seen.

If you are going to be looking at text all the time, go with the matte screen. However, I love my glossy. :D

4. Britanium macrumors member

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3.5 was what i got initially. now 2 hours (17 months old)

5 hrs never appear to be possible to me. of course, i m not sure if im a intense user, firefox, thunderbird, itunes adium....

sorry, scratch my words, i just noticed this is about mbp, not mb, lol

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

On my mbp (SR 2.2) I get a reasonable amount of battery life. If I'm using just Word and Safari (Bluetooth is off and WiFi is on), I get about 4.5-4.75 hours. This is however with the screen only one notch above "off" (my eyes hurt if it's too bright:eek:).

I've noticed that without Word and with the screen brighter (a few notches higher-still with Bluetooth off and WiFi on) I get about 5 hours (using Safari for the most part).