MBP Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Jan 31, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

What sort of battery life is everyone getting on their MBP (core 2 duo), with just standard Safari/iChat/email use etc., on wifi (full signal), with screen brightness about 75%, and keyboard backlight off?

I'm asking, because I got my MBP the other day, and it doesn't seem to be doing too well in this respect!

Thanks.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'm getting around 3.5 - 4 hours with average light use (17" MBP 2.4), more if I'm careful. And that's with keyboard backlight on (although it doesn't actually come on that often - fairly bright ambient lighting here).

3. ZballZ macrumors regular

I used to get 3.5-4 hours, running half brightness, using it for light stuff.

Now, after about 14 months it is much less, although my batteri health is still pretty good ... about 87%

It seems it can hardly sleep overnight, without running out i power.

(I had a repair done about a month ago - and my issues started after that, i suspect they switched the battery with some old crap - maybe im paranoid, but the whole repair thing was a farce, and they had my baby for more than 7 weeks, and I had to take it back 4 times before it was properly repaired. Dont wanna go back there :mad: )

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I also get about 3.5 - 4. If you need more, try reducing the screen brightness a little. It won't affect you too much and it'll get you a little more time.

5. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Okay, seriously, that repair thing is lame. SEVEN WEEKS - are you kidding me?! It wasn't an Apple store, was it? :confused:

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

And make sure your energy saver is set to "better energy savings."

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, it looks like I should be looking at 3.5 hours minimum then, but at the moment it's barely 2!

As my MBP is just a day old, is it normal for battery use to not be at its optimal level until after a few charge cycles?

8. macRat17 macrumors member

macRat17

3-3.5 hrs with no key backlight, 75% brightness, wifi on, bt off, itunes playing in background

9. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Does "better energy savings" actually change anything other than the times for computer/display sleeping?

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

In the Powerbook G4 days it did, but I'm not sure about the intels.

11. ZballZ macrumors regular

Oh yes it was! And the fourth time i returned it, they wanted med to pay for a new I/O-board - FOR THE SECOND TIME! They said I must have broken it again! Then i freaked! I had only had my MBP for 4 days all together between repairs. So i asked which was more likely, that they broke it themselves for the 7 weeks they had had it, or me, in the 4 f**** days! After a bit of arguing they apologized, repaired everything in ONE DAY, and gave it to me for free. (Although I had already paid around 800-900$ in repair the first 3 times!)