MBP battery loosing charge when turned off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BjornSE, Oct 28, 2010.

1. BjornSE macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've been a member here for a few years but mainly kept in the background reading about news and other interesting things like mods and discussions.

A few months back I bought a 15 inch 2.4 MBP, the most recent model as far as I'm aware, from the refurb store in the UK and after a few troublesome experiences ( they delivered an iPad to me the first time) I finally got my computer. Ever since, there have been a few problems.

First my Logic board died, handed it in and got it fixed.
    Second the Keyboard backlighting wouldn't work, same thing, handed it in and got it fixed.
    Now it seems that my MBP can't hold the battery charge when the computer is turned off, which to me seems very strange as it holds the charge perfectly well, 5+ hours although I've never timed it, during normal use.

I recently installed and mce optibay for extra storage since I don't really need the superdrive and it works great. Could this by any chance have anything to do with the drain?

So to summarize my MBp can't hold the charge when computer is turned off but works fine when its on. I have an extra HDD installed where the superdrive used to be via mce optibay and everything else works fine.

Any thoughts or advice welcome

Regards

Bjorn

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With turned off you mean really turned off, not just sleep?

Have you checked the battery's health via System Profiler > Hardware > Battery or coconutBattery?

3. BjornSE thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes fully turned off as in closing all windows pressing the power off button and choosing shut down. Could it be there is something putting it in standby rather than shutting it off?

from sys profiler:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: W0014QQ5CBWZA
    Manufacturer: SMP
    Device name: bq20z451
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0201
    Hardware Revision: 000a
    Cell Revision: 0158
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2824
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 6827
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 39
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1225
    Voltage (mV): 11183

Cheers

Bjorn

4. Pak^Man macrumors regular

I've seen the same on my MBP 15" i7.

If the MBP is completely off for about a day (and unplugged), I lose about 3% of the battery. Lost about 7% over a weekend.

I always thought this was normal.... it was the case with my prior MB (1st Gen),& Blackbook.

But I am interested in what everyone has to say.... I just though LiION batteries lost power over time even in off state.

5. BjornSE thread starter macrumors newbie

I could see 3% as being normal in a day, mine can go from fully charged to fully discharged in 4-5 days though.

Bjorn