MBP battery not charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emmalou99, Feb 20, 2011.

1. emmalou99 macrumors newbie

I got my MBP in August 2010, up till a couple weeks ago it all worked fine!!

2 weeks ago my MBP just turned itself off all of a sudden. The green light on the charger was faded and nothing was happening. I took it to the genius bar and the guy I saw pressed shift, control, cmd and the power button, let go of the power button, held the other 3 for 5 seconds and waaaalaa! it worked! I have no idea what this did but it worked. So...at home that night, my MBP was on for 10 minutes until it went dead again. I pressed these buttons like the genius told me and it worked. An hour later....it did it again and this time wouldn't respond to anything and there was no light on the charger.
    Back to the genius bar.
    The genius couldn't get it to work so they replaced the logic board and battery (under warranty luckily!!!)
    Everything worked fine until 6 days later.
    My MBP is now not charging. When I click on the battery icon it says "battery is not charging" and the green light on the charger is again faded. I have turned it off and pressed the buttons mentioned about but nothing is happening.
    Coconut battery says:
    current charge: 318
    max charge: 5551
    load cycles: 4
    temp: 30.4
    battery power usage: 0.0 watt

Can anyone help?! :(

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. aCondor macrumors 6502

Yup. Back to the Apple Store it goes, as a future refurbished Mac.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's resetting the SMC, which is a process used in resolving power, battery and charging issues.
    You shouldn't have to reset the SMC on a regular basis. Most users shouldn't ever have to do it. If you're having these kinds of problems regularly, I'd take it back to the Apple store, as miles01110 suggested.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: