MBP Battery Problem (maybe)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tommyh84, Mar 23, 2011.

1. tommyh84 macrumors newbie

Had my new Macbook Pro for 3 weeks now and my first query was to why the cycle count was going up on it's own, I've only charged it 3 times so far and all 3 times have been following a complete de-charge and then left in a charged state as per Apples website. This morning when I switched it on the cycle count was at 6 when I turned it on again this afternoon the cycle count was at 7 :confused:

Just turned it on again tonight and the battery health is at 99% surely this is unacceptable for something that is less than a month old? What's the deal with the cycle count going up on it's own as well?

Any ideas?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

not sure about the cycle count. It's a little erratic at first, and 99% battery health is great, not sure what's unacceptable about that. It will probably stay there for a while, then hover in the mid 90s for the majority of its useful life.

3. simsaladimbamba

I don't know about your cycle count, maybe you have used it on battery, as using the battery from 100% to 50%, then charging it to 100%, then using it till 50% counts as a cycle.
    The battery health is fluctuating, as thousands of existing threads might show, and it is normal. MRoogle can help you find them.

4. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I'd kill for a mid 90s battery life; my MBP is oftentimes hovering around 88%. I just can't watch it anymore or I'd get obsessed about something I can't do anything about

5. simsaladimbamba

You mean battery health?

6. tommyh84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oddly enough turned it on for the first time today an hour ago and just checked and battery health is back up to 100%

Oh well I'll keep an eye on it

7. simsaladimbamba

Or not, as it might turn into some OCD.
    Unless you get abysmal battery times, the health is not that important. Just check it every month or two.
    My 2009 MBP's battery health fluctuates between 95% and 99%, but the battery still holds seven hours of charge.