MBP battery problem please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anikgol, Mar 15, 2008.

1. anikgol macrumors member

I have a mbp which i bought in summer 2005.

the battery lost its life and has already been replaced since mbp shut down at 30% battery.

after installing leopard the battery life has been reduced and mbp shuts down after 10 mins of usage when using the battery (instead of power).

this means that i cant calibrate it by letting it drain out to 0 percent and recharging. the battery simply makes the mbp shut down already at 90%.

what should i do?

can the problem be adapter related since this is happening twice in different batteries?

when i replaced the battery and where using tiger it was in very good health. over 100% according to coconut battery (5589 instead of 5500)

now sometimes it reaches 91 percent health but in general its more and more seldom and its slowly being reduced, normally 83 or less.

also ive added more RAM, can this be related to the problem?

is there a way to calibrate this?

ive also tried resetting hardware (or whatever its called) twice.

battery:
    35 cycles

mbp 2 GHz
    more RAM has been added

i would be happy to see what people wasy about this. its very frustrating

2. MSmith1915 macrumors newbie

MBP Battery

First place to stop is Apple support on their web site. Click on the MAC computer, then MACBook Pro, click more under troubleshooting, and then information about the MacBook Pro battery, scroll down for this article - Calibrating a MacBook or MacBook Pro battery

Here's the abreviated version:

To calibrate the battery:
    Plug in the MagSafe power adapter and fully charge the MacBook or MacBook Pro battery until the light on the MagSafe connector changes to green and the Battery icon in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
    Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer. You may use your computer during this time as long as the power adapter is plugged in.
    Disconnect the power adapter with the computer on and start using it with battery power. When the battery's charge gets low, you’ll see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
    Continue to keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep. Save your work and close all applications when the battery's charge gets low and before the computer goes to sleep.
    Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.
    Reconnect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged. You may use your computer during this time.

Mike

3. anikgol thread starter macrumors member

thanx for the post but i know how to calibrate the battery. as i wrote in the post i cant calibrate it since the battery doesnt get more empty than 90%. it never goes below 90% since when its reaches 90% it shuts down!

this is the problem and the reason i posted in the first place. so your suggestion does not help unfortunately.

4. MSmith1915 macrumors newbie

Battery

Sorry, I guess I should have read the post in a little more detail. The next question to ask: Is the battery 3rd part or apple? and the same for the charger?

You could try the battery is some one else's macbook. It could boil down to a bad battery. Another option, take it to an apple story and let them genius's check it out.....

Good Luck

Mike

5. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Try resetting the PRAM and the SMC and then calibrate the battery.

To reset the PRAM and SMC on your Mac:

1. Shut down your MacBook Pro.
    2. Remove the battery.
    3. Open the lid and hold down the power button for 10 seconds.
    4. Close the lid and replace the battery.
    5. Open the lid and press the power button.
    6. Hold down Command-Option-P-R on your MacBook Pro's keyboard until it chimes twice.

The SMC and the PRAM contain power-management related settings, so this may help resolve this issue. Once you've done the above steps, try re-calibrating the battery.

Hope this helps :)

6. anikgol thread starter macrumors member

should the mac be connected to power while doing this?

think ive tried this twice without any luck. ill give it another test even thought im pretty sure it wont help again.

the battery is apple.

7. anikgol thread starter macrumors member

tried this twice. exactly the same situation if not worse. the battery life has now declined even further.

isnt there any alternative way to drain the battery completely? i have an increasingly suspicion that this is the battery itself and maybe the power adapter too.

have no idea what to do now. This is ****!

Now ive replaced the superdrive twice and also the battery and this MBP still is having problems. What a shame Apple! unfortunately ive bought this in my trip to USA otherwise the norwegian 5 year guaranty that the state forces would maybe help me. Will never buy anything in USA again.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe Apple warranty is global. I know I went to get an iPod fixed in internationally before.

9. anikgol thread starter macrumors member

yes but its one year. In norway apple has to accept 5 years :)