MBP Battery Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robrose20, Jul 8, 2008.

1. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

I have a SR MBP 2.4 ghz, 4 gb memory and I am having a little problem. When I run it off the battery sometimes it will shut off spontaneously. When I check the battery status it has 3 green lights. When I try to restart the computer it gives the initial chime then shuts off. When I attach the power cable it will boot up just fine and operate normally. The battery reads 68% charged. In addition when the battery is at full capacity the light in the power adapter (which should be green) shuts off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

speak to Apple Care or see a Genius at an Apple Store. they will replace your battery under warranty.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Warranty doesn't cover batteries. Neither does AppleCare.

4. Eric. macrumors regular

Apple guarantees them to an extent. There is an age/cycle limitation that they will cover, and I'd assume that issues not relating to the battery life (like this one) are covered regardless of the batteries' condition.

I can't seem to find Apple's page with this info though.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Directly from Apple Limited Warranty, under "Exclusions and Limitations":

"This warranty does not apply: ..... (f) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship;"

Directly from AppleCare Protection Plan, under "b. Limitations":

"The Plan does not cover:
    (ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries ...."

Better to know this in advance, rather than have false expectations.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ um what? my battery was replaced twice and both had the same symptoms as the OP's. when replaced the second time it was even after my 1 year warranty had ended.

why would Apple not replace a faulty battery? seems ludicrous! that is of course if the OP is still under warranty.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My guess is that, regardless of the situation, Apple MAY replace a battery, but they have no contractual obligation to do so, unless there's an obvious defect. Because they replace one for one person, doesn't mean they'll necessarily do so for that same person again, or for someone else. I'm sure they want everyone to be happy with their purchase, so unless they suspect abuse, they may be inclined to offer a replacement without much hassle. Still, it's wise to keep in mind the terms of their warranty and realize the only "force" that could be applied is their desire for good customer relations.

By the way, if you read the "fine print" on most notebook manufacturers, you'll likely find the same policy. Batteries, being defined as consumables, are expected to wear out over time and are not typically covered under warranties.