MBP Battery Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reno56k, Aug 4, 2009.

1. reno56k macrumors newbie

My MBP is 25 months old and according to the stats in my attached picture Its an ok charge.
    The Question I have is that when my computer reaches 39% capacity it shuts off completely. I check the battery under the machine and it's dead. If there anything I can do to fix this.
    I can't cycle the machine anymore and I still have 1 year left on my Apple care plan.

Edit: I can't re-calibrate the machine due to it shutting down at 39% left. It just shuts down completely. I've tried it a number of time to no avail.

Attached Files:

2. JGruber macrumors 6502

If your battery just dies at 39%, you have a dead cell in the Li-Ion pack. This will require a replacement battery. There are ways of bringing it back, but it's not practical.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Not necessarily. A battery calibration will see if the battery is really dead or not.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Call Applecare, but your cycle count is over 300, so I'm not sure if they'll cover it.
    I wouldn't take no for an answer though.

5. reno56k thread starter macrumors newbie

but how can I do a calibration if the computer won't run to zero? I try to let it run down but it just shuts off.

I have an appointment on Wednesday with Apple Care.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Leaving it off for a few hours after it shuts off will do the trick.