MBP battery question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tMac85, Nov 17, 2007.

1. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

So I have searched the forums, and cant seem to find answers. Im confused on the MBP battery life. Through my search on forums there are all these 'cycle' talks. I dont understand how to measure your battery based off cycles. Anyway. I just got my MBP in August. When fully charged and just surfing the internet... it usually says about 3 hours left. Is that normal? Apple says up to 6 hours. So the only way they give you three more hours (6 total) is when your screen is off and doing nothing? Is my battery working right? All answers and explanations welcome.
    Thanks

2. theman macrumors 6502a

Download a program called Coconut Battery. Then tell us the information it gives you.

My MBP can get above 5:30 of life if I turn the screen brightness to the minimum setting, turn off bluetooth, airport, have the strictest power saving settings, and have nothing plugged into it. With airport on I can get about 5:00.
    If I have the brightness all the way up, airport, and have all my devices plugged into it, I only get over 2:00. Apple's 6 hours thing is like, the MAXIMUM an MBP could ever possibly get (most likely with the screen all the way off, etc...). It's kind of tricky advertising on their part. It really depends on what you are doing with the MBP. E.g., I played Half life 2 on my MBP on battery and it shut down after about 25 minutes... :D

Coconut Battery reports that my MBP only has 95% (5230/5500mAh) life, which is sort of disappointing since that's about what it's been since I got it. But If I can get 5:00, that's plenty fine!

3. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

so i downloaded coconut and it says.
    current battery charge 3388
    maximum battery charge 5066
    66%

current battery capacity 5066
    original battry capacity 5500
    92%

battery load cycles 100
    5 months old

i understand its not fully charged and its showing 1 hr 46 min left.

all of this normal?

4. theman macrumors 6502a

charge the battery all the way up (so the light on the magsafe is green). Then turn everything off like I said, and see how much you get.