MBP Battery : Replace Soon!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bjb.butler, Feb 2, 2010.

1. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Hello all

I have a 15'' MBP that I bought in the summer of 2008. For some reason, I decided to click on the battery icon, and under Condition, it says "Replace Soon". I've only had this laptop for about 13~15 months... I assume that this isn't normal. I have apple care. How should I go about addressing this situation?

thank you

2. celticpride678

If you have Apple Care and the battery status is replace soon, you MIGHT be able to get a free battery replacement or a battery replacement for a cheap price at the Genius Bar.

3. koolrosh macrumors newbie

koolrosh

are battery replacements like what this user has something that AppleCare usually replaces for free or does it have some fee? Another question is does AppleCare cover battery problems too?

4. bsizz234 macrumors member

you don't actually HAVE to replace your battery- that just means it's holding less charge than it used to. which you probably already knew. mine's said that for two months and I'm not doing anything about it since it still holds 2.5 hours. when it gets to <1hr I'll drop the $100 for a new batt.

5. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I recently had to replace a bad battery. Unfortunately, mine died and promptly shut the machine down, corrupting some of my files in the process. I didn't actually see the service soon icon until I hooked up to a/c power to see the damage. Obviously that battery was faulty to have died out of the blue w/ about ~95% charge. Based on that, I'd be cautious of a battery thats now causing the os to throw a flag. If its still under apple care then just call them up; they should send you a new one.

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Run Coconut Battery. If the health is less than 80% and the cycles are less than 300, you can get a new battery.

The easiest way is to call Apple and they will have you reset the SMC and read some numbers from system profiler. If they determine the battery is defective, they should send you a replacement. This is assuming your MBP has a replaceable battery.

7. adapterlist macrumors newbie

The battery for laptop

I see your question on this website.if you decided to change your apple battery,i suggest you find some famous website online to buy. i think this way can help you save money.

8. bjb.butler thread starter macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Ran coconutBattery, this is what I got:
    [​IMG]

9. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

That's definitely a fault battery.

10. ammusk macrumors regular

I'm in a similar quandary.

I don't have Apple Care and was banking on getting the new MBPs when they're released.

Should I buy a new battery?

[​IMG]