MBP Battery Replacement at 59% Capacity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asmallchild, Feb 26, 2009.

1. asmallchild macrumors regular

My 15" MBP was purchased last year around this time.

2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I haven't noticed any decline in battery life and am thrilled with my very 1st Mac.

But I installed CoconutBattery and finally checked it again for the 1st time in a while.

59% Battery Capacity (3316 mAh out of 5600 mAh) after 61 battery-loadcycles. The Mac is 13 months old.

Would I qualify for a new battery under AppleCare? (I purchased this last year with the laptop when it was brand new)

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Batteries are only covered for 1 year after purchase, so i hope its less than 365 days old, if so, yes its covered, and get it changed NOW as it sounds broken to me, but if its over 365 days, sorry, your out of luck, you'll have to buy a new one yourself.

3. asmallchild thread starter macrumors regular

It's definitely less than 365 days old, I'm going to zoom to the Apple Store tomorrow!

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Apple lately has been accepting batteries that have less than 300 cycles and more than 1 year old. I had my 1.5 year old 90 cycle battery swapped because of a 22% charge.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats true but thats up to the Apple Geniuses discretion. Lets stick to the official Apple rules here hey :)

6. asmallchild thread starter macrumors regular

In terms of protocol, can I really just show up with my MBP running CoconutBattery and get a hassle-free exchange?

I'm thinking it's not that easy right?

Heading home now to scrounge up the receipt and I hope they're not planning on running lengthy diagnostics.

7. recon731 macrumors newbie

They have a hardware utility they can run to see the battery capacity. They will not trust CoconutBattery, but can run their own test on it. Don't worry, they will probably replace it.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You can also show capacity by running System Profiler and checking under Power classification. It's all Apple so it shouldn't be an issue.

9. asmallchild thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help people!

Brought my MBP, no receipt necessary, and was out with a new battery within 30 minutes.

Love the service! :D