MBP Battery usage Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Konradx, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Konradx macrumors 6502

Konradx

I just purchased a 15" MBP matte, and it'll ship in a couple of days. I'm going to use it for work and home. I work 9-5.

Should i charge it to full, and let it drain at work, or should it be plugged in all the time? I heard keeping a laptop plugged in full time kills the battery. Is this true?

I'll be using the laptop everyday at work and a couple of hours at home. Recommendations for a long lasting battery?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, that is true - However the question is: If you're never going to use it off the charger why would you care if the battery dies? :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're on the right track. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. Konradx thread starter macrumors 6502

Konradx

I was reading that you should pretty much drain the battery, before charging. If charging when half full, it ruins the lifespan of the battery.

So just run off the battery at work till its dying? Doing so will my battery last longer, or if its always plugged in at work?

5. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

No. Draining a battery before charging was a practice used to combat the memory effect that NiCd batteries would suffer from. The worst thing you can do to a lithium battery is drain it all the way regularly.
    As a rule of thumb (and as noted earlier by GGJstudios), use the machine as you need. Plug it in when there is a power source available. Run on battery when necessary.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That isn't true. There is a lot of misinformation floating around the internet regarding batteries. Read the Battery FAQ, which is compiled from Apple support documents.

7. Konradx thread starter macrumors 6502

Konradx