MBP Battery won't fully charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atomicfission92, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

Hello all,

On my MBP I have noticed that my battery will never hit 100% charge. and that it takes a longgggggg time for it to charge up when. I calibrated the battery as per Apples suggestions and doing some research on my own. Its been about 3 or 4 days down and I have done 2 calibrations and its still the same thing. The battery takes a long time to charge and it will not fully charge to 100%. Any ideas? Does temperature matter when you charge the battery? According to iStat my enclosure temps are around 23- 21C. Would that affect the battery?

2. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

I was also looking in System Profiler and noticed that my Battery Capacity is 4414 mAh. What should the battery be when new? Can't seem to find out what the battery is rated.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Which machine?

4. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

Got a 2.53 Uni MBP

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK, by default the system won't charger the battery if the indicator icon shows it's above 95%. Also it'll usually take a couple of charges/discharges before you'll get an accurate reading regarding the capacity, though a battery calibration will help optimise it's performance. If not done yet.

Also, there's a popular utility called CoconutBattery that can monitor it's performance over time.. Maybe that'll help you?

6. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

It did charge it to 100% before and now it won't. And that makes no sense why Apple wouldn't allow the batteries to be fully charged by default. I could see if they weren't being trickle charged and they were at the risk of being over charged but that isn't the case.

I have 4 cycles on my battery and my battery life is at 96%. So its basically taking off a percent per charge. That doesn't seem right to me. Also I calibrated the battery when I first got it. and then again after it wasn't fully charging.