MBP battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BLOND37, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

i dont want this to be a big thing. no tech exp here but i have never used my MBP on battery. from day one only used acdc.. when i go to settings - electric saver (?) or energy? it says battery 0% replace.. and the indicator in menu bar shows running on acdc and if i unplug mbp shuts down immedately... cuz this and other reasons going to genuis bar next week.. still under full warranty

but i am freaking out about it.. whats the worse that could happen? what do you think is wrong with battery?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. BLOND37, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The fact that you never used the battery and only ran on AC power means you probably killed it. Batteries need to be used periodically to stay healthy. You'll have to replace your battery. I recommend you read the Battery FAQ for tips on how to properly care for your battery.

5. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i never calibrated it..

do i need a battery (new) if i never use battery? i ALWAYS ONLY use acdc

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You shouldn't do that. Read the FAQ.

7. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok read it. so now what?? if i unplug it . mbp doesnt work.. i cant get to the store until thurs. will that be ok?

----------

great just great now I am FREAKING OUT.. am i effed?? will my mbp be not good? will i have to get rid of it?

----------

someomne please help and repky ASAP i am freaking out

----------

great $2000 down the toilet

----------

its nice people tell me this um stuff ahead of time.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I thought it's still under warranty? In the worst case you will have to buy a new battery, if anything else is broken apple should fix it.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Please learn how to type properly, your posts make me want to bunch babies.

You probably ruined your battery due to lack of use, batteries in modern laptops are just like muscle, they need exercise to function properly. If the Genius is feeling good when you go in, and he sees that your battery has no charge cycles and is completely dead, he may replace it for you.

Worst case scenario is that you'll have to buy a new battery.

Don't be silly, your computer is not wrecked, and you don't need to get rid of it either. When your TV remote's batteries die, do you throw out the whole remote? Yeah, thought not.

When/if you get your battery replace, just use the laptop as an actual laptop once in a while, unplugging it isn't exactly very hard now, is it?

10. simsaladimbamba

You have been here for three years, and you never came upon the battery FAQ GGJstudios was kind enough to compile and post in at least twelvety dozen hundred threads?
    You never took a look inside the User Guide (page 30), that came with your MacBook Pro?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Relax. Not everyone can respond instantly, so be patient. There's no need to panic. $2000 is NOT "down the toilet". It's just a dead battery, not a dead computer. Take it to Apple and let them look at it. They can replace your battery.

Apple posts battery care information on their website, and that information is included in the Battery FAQ.

12. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

right ok but what i they ask and i say i didnt use the battery right? then isnt anything fruit of the poison tree?
    sorry about replies and post but i just am not good with this and freak out sorry.. will my mbp be ok til thursday? thats when my appt is..
    i dont care ill buy the battery.. they can install right there?

should i do this- let go to 0 with my iphone and i pad??

----------

STOP pleaee.. i have read or post much until recrntly.. i am freaking out and dont need this right now sorry :(((
    no i didnt now there was a maual..kinda closing the barn door now

----------

umm hold it right there-- there was NOOOO manuak or handbook wth it

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No matter how your battery died, you can replace it with no questions asked. Yes, your MBP will be fine. If they have the battery in stock, they can replace it there.

14. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea full warenty until 12-3

----------

sorry i am just upset and worried...

15. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

your computer will be fine till thursday, yes.

and unless you bought your MBP without a box, yes there should have been a user guide in it. i am looking at mine right now.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Take a deep breath and relax. Drink a gallon of tequila. Get a grip! Batteries die all the time. Even if you care for them properly, all batteries die eventually. There is absolutely no danger to your computer. Chill out!

17. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

not bs-ing you just look thru EVERYTHING in my apple file and the box.. NOTHING..

you got a REAL booklet in the box?

----------

'm trying to chill. was going to NYC this weekend so much for a nice relax trip. but i''l; try to take yur word.. maybe i will try to move my genuis appt sooner.

should i do same with iphone and ipad/

----------

coukd this be the reason why the whole mbp has been slow lately?

18. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

yes i did; looks like this:
    [​IMG]

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. A dead or dying battery will not affect your computer's performance. For that, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive page outs, a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

20. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nope i'd have read that and kept in the box.

----------

hmm thats too bad lol..
    ok lets see page in and out = 0
    no widgets here
    hardly anything comsumeing resouces
    no AV..
    might have rthem all at this when i take it in..
    i get beach ball alot and slow

21. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

it's possible that something is wrong with your motherboard which is causing all of your problems... Make sure you have them run diagnostics.

22. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yu had to tell me that LOL

23. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

you'd be surprised how often they do a lazy job at the genius bar. tell them you suspect motherboard issues and you want them to run full diagnostics, and they should. hopefully a)you don't actually have any problems, or b)your MBP is still under warranty.