MBP Battery...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by higgz, Mar 2, 2008.

1. higgz macrumors member

higgz

Hey fellas,
    I use my MBP a lot for desktop and out and about use as well... Should I be concerned with leaving the AC plugged in all the time? Since I bought my MBP after it hits 100% for quite the while... I will un plug it and let the battery drain out pretty low. Am I better off leaving it plugged in? Or is it kind of like a cell phone where you should let it drain out and charge it back up to 100% for better lifetime?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think it's a problem to keep it plugged in all the time (I pretty much do). But don't use it for 5 minutes on battery and then charge it up OR use a bunch of battery and then charge it up 10 minutes at a time.

Speaking of all this, I should probably fully drain mine at some point.

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Leave it plugged in. By using the battery you are just 'aging' it unnecessarily in my mind. You will however want to let it drain a couple times a month or so.

4. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Im sure Ive read somewhere on apple.com that if you dont use your battery at all, you might want to drain it to about 50% and take it out, that way it preserves better or something of that nature. But thats only if you never use the battery for a very extended period of time.

Anyone actually researched it more deeply? Lets say you use your battery once a week or so, would it be better to leave it plugged in or use it more often..? Granted that once a month it will be completely drained and fully recharged with a several hours gap (5hrs according to apple.com).

5. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

I've looked haven't found much of anything anywhere

6. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

There have been plenty of this same post on here, and the consensus is basically it's not bad to keep it plugged in, but that you should let it drain all the way to zero at least once a month.

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I would NOT remove my battery under ANY circumstance while using it on AC power.

First, your CPU underclocks to 1GHz. Second, if the magsafe comes out...POOF...all gone. Third, ANY power surge will be more likely to cause damage/POOF...all gone.

8. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

Any one elses battery sit at 99%? I've had mine plugged in for past 2 days and it was at 100% but now it just sits at 99?

9. tip macrumors 6502

tip

To keep from frequent short discharge/charge sequences, the battery only charges if it's below 95%.

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

11. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz