MBP battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wolfattack, Mar 19, 2008.

1. wolfattack macrumors member

Soo. I just got my first mac, and I am calibrating the battery as apple's site says here (right now it is in sleep mode for 5 hours, i am kind of anxious though, i want to use it again tonight so it might be 2 hours for me, haha. On my pc right now).

I was reading somewhere that it is bad to leave your laptop plugged in most of the time? I basically use my computer at home, and at work, and have it plugged in all the time at both places. Is this bad? What should I do instead?

I don't know about the MBP, but on my windows laptop, photoshop, illustrator and After Effects (the three programs I use for work) run a good bit slower when the laptop isn't plugged in. So i dont know if unplugging my MBP every time it fills up, letting it drain down, and plugging it in again is a very realistic thing to do.

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get back on my MBP. 17inch, hi-res glossy!!!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you're to leave it plugged in all the time, get your battery down to 50% and remove it completely. Either that or discharge it completely at least once a month to keep those electrons going in there. Else your battery will die sooner rather than later.

3. wolfattack thread starter macrumors member

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I WOULD NOT take this advice AT ALL! For one, removing your battery and using just AC power underclocks the CPU to 1ghz. Secondly, if you touch the magsafe, or even look at it wrong, you will lose power and off goes the MBP. And lastly, ANY power fluctuations will cause problems.

I used my MBP exclusively on AC for the 1st year of life and about 50/50 AC/battery this second year and I have seen no difference in battery health.

DO REMEMBER to calibrate on a regular schedule. It won't make the battery last longer, but it will give you a more accurate readout of its health etc.