MBP Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJAKO, Sep 18, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I have a 2 year old MBP with only 60 cycles on the battery. With such a low cycle count for the age of the laptop it seems weird that I only get about 1.5-2 hours of battery life. This is with everything off but wifi, and the screen on the second to lowest setting.

Here are some of my battery stats

Do you think I should calibrate my battery? Will that help with extending the usage, or just make a more accurate estimate on how long it will last?

I'm considering on just buying a new battery, is there any places you would recommend? I have a 15.4in MBP.

2. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

While in class, my battery went from like an 1:15 left to like 30min in a matter of minutes.

It's pathetic I can't make it through a 2 hour lecture on this laptop anymore.

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yes. Calibrate your battery, it may not extend the usage, but you will get a more accurate estimate. It is strange that you managed to get only 60 cycles in 2 years! Batteries do degrade over time, and I guess not using your battery enough may have played a part to speed up the process.

4. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could calibrating it change the cycle count? Like you said 60 counts is low for 2 years, but I usually don't take my laptop with me on the road. I leave it plugged in most of the time.

Any recommendations on where to buy a new battery for it?

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

No. Calibration will not change the cycle count. Usually, it is a good idea to discharge the battery once a week or so.

Unfortunately, I am not sure of any good places to get a new battery (other than Apple). I am sure someone with more info will be able to tell you more.

6. bobnugget macrumors regular

Watch out that it isn't bulging - they can explode if they are.

Mine was like that on monday (see here) - I'd recommend physically checking your battery very carefully. Mine had started to bulge very slightly, you could barely see it from the side, but could feel it. I phoned Apple support (I bought the 3 year applecare extension - you automatically have this if you bought it as a student, I think). They had a new battery with me the next day.

They may replace it even if you don't have the extended warranty and it is bulging and on a low number of cycles (under 300, which yours is) - try your luck.

7. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

That happened to me, before the battery eventually gave up completely and I had to use AC power.

Turned out there was a battery recall out for my battery; my MBP is 31 months old, how old is yours? I'm guessing it's a bit newer from the processor speed, but it's something to think about.

andy.

8. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't have Apple Care, and my MBP was manufactored after the silent batter recall. So a no-go on both of those.

Would you recommend buying the battery for Apple, or just going to a third party vendor? Any specific recommendations?

9. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

My MBP is about the same age as yours, and the battery was exhibiting the exact same issues, and System Profiler was showing the "Check Battery" note as well.

I took it in to a Genius Bar appointment and the battery was swapped out. The only difference was that I had applecare so the process was no-hassle. You may want to spend some time talking to them about the battery obviously being faulty and regardless of applecare status, you should have been involved in the recall (which from what I gather, is now over.)

Unfortunately recalibrating and resetting everything will not really help the battery. After a few days of doing this on mine, it only showed slightly more accurate figures.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Of course calibrating will change the charge count; when you calibrate you are using one charge cycle. ;)