MBP battery's health draining rapidly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msaz87, Dec 20, 2009.

1. msaz87 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I was hoping to get some advice on my MBP battery situation.

I have 15" MBP (non-unibody) running 10.5.8 and battery update 1.3 that is around 18 months old (so it's out of warranty) and was purchased as a refurb.

Like a chump, I paid poor attention to my battery, including leaving it plugged in pretty much constantly and not cycling it regularly. Anyways, I never really noticed any issue with its charge up until a few weeks ago when I could tell a big drop off in its charge time off the power supply. I checked iStat Pro and sure enough the battery's health had plummeted to around 30 percent after 76 cycles. The charge remained 100 percent.

I tried to cycle it a lot over the next few days or so, but the problem only seemed to get worse and now the health is at around 15-20 percent and the charge 97 percent.

Knowing the MBP battery reputation and my poor handling from the get-go, I am resigned to the fact I'll need to get a new one -- but I was hoping to see if anyone experienced a similar drastic drop and if maybe this could be more than a defective battery?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated... thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you've calibrated properly and it's still showing poor health, it's likely you've hosed your battery by the way you've treated it. Batteries are only covered if they're proven defective, and the likelihood of Apple replacing one after 18 months is close to nil.

3. msaz87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it was just how I had maltreated it, but I was also worried about how the health dropped another 10-15 percent in the week I really started to monitor it.

I'm more worried that there's something else effecting the battery.. whether it's within the MBP or whatever... since I don't want another one to fail if I take the right approach to caring for it.

Thanks for the help

4. asmallchild macrumors regular

id try to bring it in anyway if u have applecare

5. msaz87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly, I don't have Applecare either.

So would taking it into an Apple Store be a big waste of time?